• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Explain Lost

JRV

Reaction score
Can anyone explain Lost in a nutshell? I bailed on that show way back when they never answered any questions. Were any of the questions answered?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Think Gilligan's Island, only not funny. :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
lol - think I bailed on it at the end of Season 2, maybe before - same reason, got tired of waiting for answers that never came - only had new questions

And I just bought the complete Gilligan's Island on DVD a couple of weeks ago. Amazon had it on sale for like $25 one day.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
I only ask because tonight I saw a recap episode and apparently they are off the island now but some were still on and they were time traveling via time shifts.

***?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's one of those shows you have to really invest yourself in to appreciate. If you haven't seen every single episode from the beginning, you aren't going to enjoy it since you won't understand most of what's going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
I'll have a go.

It's not real! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Think Gilligan's Island, only not funny. :D

More like this:

60% - Gilligan's Island
20% - Random Overly-Dramatic Univision Novellas
10% - 1970's Generic Disaster Movie
9% - Excuse for Network to Use Digital Effects in a TV Show
1% - William Golding's Lord of the Flies in an attempt to give the show a faint glimmer of credibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Spooky sci-fi drama on an island.
Boring torture drama on an island.
Mystery drama on an island.
Pointless drama both on and off an island.
Repeat as necessicary until all actors get DUI's or big heads and leave the cast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
well, 6 people got off the island, but the remainder still on the island are screwed because they keep getting thrown around in different time dimensions, so the people who left have to come back to save the people still on the inland from being combusted by the constant time traveling.

understand now?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Actually, 7 got off the island. Wait, 8. Wait, 9. Yeah, 9 I think, but 3 weren't part of the Oceanic flight.

Understand now??? (read with sarcasm)

It's an ultra-complex storyline that is not helped by the fact that the last 3 season have only had like 10 episodes each spaced way too far apart. I've seen every episode and I'm still not 100% on what there is to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
The Simpsons episode "Das Bus" did it a lot better and a lot more entertainingly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Actually, 7 got off the island. Wait, 8. Wait, 9. Yeah, 9 I think, but 3 weren't part of the Oceanic flight.

Understand now??? (read with sarcasm)

It's an ultra-complex storyline that is not helped by the fact that the last 3 season have only had like 10 episodes each spaced way too far apart. I've seen every episode and I'm still not 100% on what there is to know.

True:Angry-Tongue:
I was just thinking of the main 6 who "went public"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Can anyone explain Lost in a nutshell? I bailed on that show way back when they never answered any questions. Were any of the questions answered?

Yes, many of the show's questions have been answered. However many questions still remain in the show's final two seasons. What's interesting is that the current season is asking fewer questions than the previous ones, a sign that the writers are gearing up for the end of the show.

Reaction score
No offense to the OP, but I never did understand the folks who bailed simply because they weren't giving answers. If you didn't like the show that's one thing, but you have to think of Lost as basically a book. It has a beginning and an end. You either read a book from beginning to end and enjoy it for what it is, you don't like the book because it doesn't interest you and therefore give up on it (in which case, why try to pick the book back up and resume 100 pages later?), or you skip to the last page and find out who the murderer is.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Lost, the way it's been done is nothing like a book. With a book you have the entire book and you can read it as fast or as slow as you like.

Lost became disappointing. There were new questions every episode. But, after the first two years, not a single answer to the questions raised from the beginning. It appeared that even the writers didn't have a clue where the story was headed. That was enough for me.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't read a murder mystery or suspense thriller a chapter at a time over the course of 3 or 4 years. Not going to watch a TV show that by the time you get the answers, you've forgotten the questions either.

I really liked the show. But now, I'll do the same with it I do with 24. Wait until the whole thing is out on DVD. Then I can watch as fast or as slow as I like. No three month wait between seasons hoping for an answer to last season, only to find the writers didn't have one.

Although, I am glad there were plenty of other people that continued watching it. I may actually get to see the whole thing in a manner enjoyable to me at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
I really liked the show. But now, I'll do the same with it I do with 24. Wait until the whole thing is out on DVD. Then I can watch as fast or as slow as I like.

that's exactly what i plan to do i have never watched an episode but when it is all finished i will watch them all in one go like i did with sex and the city. ( yes im a 16yo boy who enjoyed sex and the city lol) Saves all the anticipation ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Same here, I enjoy having an entire season available at my fingertips and I can watch the episodes at my own pace.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.