dont know which OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook G3 400 mghz
powerbook g3 password

Hello everyone....I have tried everything I know to get into this thing.....I don't have the password I was told to reboot while holding down the apple and S keys so I could enter some information and reset the password....I am told that a black screen will come up....but it keeps going back to th3 log in screen....can anyone help??:(

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook G3 400 mghz
Hello everyone....I have tried everything I know to get into this thing.....I don't have the password I was told to reboot while holding down the apple and S keys so I could enter some information and reset the password....I am told that a black screen will come up....but it keeps going back to th3 log in screen....can anyone help?? The OS is 9.2 holding the apple & s gets me nowhere

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have the original install media? See the following thread on the same subject: Link

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook G3 400 mghz
Media

No...I don't have the original install media.......so any ideas.....Thanks for responding and trying to help me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks like you are oing to have to buy the install discs as that is the way it needs to be done and are you really using OS X.0, which was a beta test release?

For a G3 suggest looking for Panther OS X.3 CD's at eBay and such.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook G3 400 mghz
unsure

Harryb......I appreciate all the help I can get....... I just thought that the O S was what shows up on the screen....welcome to mac O S 9.2....is that the X.0? I certainly don't know...and one more question....I have the install for a power macintosh g3...............is that the same thing????..I really thank you for all of your help! ..I need it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No terry grey coloured system restore discs are extremely model specific. You really do need an install disc to rest the password. Suggest looking for Panther OS X.3 and install that on your G3 with an erase and cleaqn install.

Make sure you purchase the black discs which are known as the full retail version. Also have a look at this link:-

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Harryb......I appreciate all the help I can get....... I just thought that the O S was what shows up on the screen....welcome to mac O S 9.2....is that the X.0?

The 'X' in OS X stands for roman numeral '10'. So, OS X means OS 10. Subsequent versions had "nicknames", for example, OS X 10.5 is nicknamed "Leopard".

You happen to be using an operating system that predated OS X, it is in fact OS 9.2, which is obsolete - that operating system is nearly 8 years old.

If you intend to use the computer to run modern software (and that might be difficult, considering the age of the machine), you should invest in OS X 10.4 (Tiger), which is the newest version of OS X your machine will support. You may have to upgrade the memory to 512MB (at a minimum), however.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook G3 400 mghz
I thank all of you for trying to help me with my problem.........Sounds like I have a really old machine and need to look 4 something alot better though....Once again THANKS!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.