Best GarageBand microphone/guitar pre-amp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4GHx Intel Core2 Quad 4GB Ram Version 10.5.5
Hi,

I have Garageband and would like to take advantage of all its features but am currently only able to record through the mic on my webcam!
Fine for testing it out but not ideal!

I have a Shure SM57 mic which I use with my existing recorder, however to use that and to plug in my electric guitar and get the best results I need some sort of preamp.

I have been looking at things like the M-Audio Fast Track USB gizmo;

M-Audio Fast Track USB ROHS

which is just about within my budget, but then I keep hearing people murmuring about "latency", and firewire and casting doubt into my mind!

Can anyone who's got a similar set up recommend the M-Audio or anything similar that doesn't cost more than say £70? I'm not a hugely techie type as you may be able to tell so would ideally like something I can just plug into and play/record!

Also, do I NEED firewire or will a USB device allow me to record multiple tracks without there being any time delay?

Any help or advice would be VERY much appreciated!!

Thanks

Mark

Reaction score
not enough volume

Hi, I have the same set-up, a SM57 Shure mike and a FastTrack M-Audio USB interface, am trying to do voice podcasts only and am finding there is not enough power (background at necessary input volume) and will have to get a preamp as well. Hope this helps.

Chris

Hi, I have the same set-up, a SM57 Shure mike and a FastTrack M-Audio USB interface, am trying to do voice podcasts only and am finding there is not enough power (background at necessary input volume) and will have to get a preamp as well. Hope this helps.

Chris

I have Garageband and would like to take advantage of all its features but am currently only able to record through the mic on my webcam!
Fine for testing it out but not ideal!

I have a Shure SM57 mic which I use with my existing recorder, however to use that and to plug in my electric guitar and get the best results I need some sort of preamp.

I have been looking at things like the M-Audio Fast Track USB gizmo;

M-Audio Fast Track USB ROHS

which is just about within my budget, but then I keep hearing people murmuring about "latency", and firewire and casting doubt into my mind!

Can anyone who's got a similar set up recommend the M-Audio or anything similar that doesn't cost more than say £70? I'm not a hugely techie type as you may be able to tell so would ideally like something I can just plug into and play/record!

Also, do I NEED firewire or will a USB device allow me to record multiple tracks without there being any time delay?

Any help or advice would be VERY much appreciated!!

Thanks

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.