Boot up won't work after attempted Ubuntu install

Reaction score
Hi -- I think I've broken my booter (EFI?).
I tried to install Ubuntu to an external FW drive using the Ubuntu disk, and then OSX would not boot, instead just flashing a folder symbol on the white startup screen.
I tried to restore the HD from TimeMachine, but this didn't work, either, so I restored it to the external drive I had planned for Ubuntu, and this is what I'm currently working with.
I've tried doing the reset by booting & holding down the power key, but that just makes a constant "beeeeeeeeep!" noise & holding down option on bootup just hangs on a white screen.
I manually installed rEFIt to the broken internal drive, but that didn't fix the problem, although I could install it to the external drive I'm currently using.
When I am logged on to the external drive, I can still see the internal HD, and browse it in finder.
Also I cannot run TimeMachine, as it does not like there being two drives called "Macintosh HD", and I am afraid to rename one in case I break something irrecoverably.
I am well past my comfort zone and at a loss as to what to try next. I am considering installing Ubuntu to the internal HD & being satisfied with running OSX from the external. This is hardly ideal, and invalidates my guarantee, but I can't afford to lose any more work time.
Before I do that, though, I thought I'd post here & wait a while to see if anyone can suggest a fresh approach that maybe wasn't so drastic.
Cheers for any & all assistance,
Doug.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is probably another way some of the more tech savvy might have for you.

One Option: Since you've got OS X already restored and running on the external, I'd grab Superduper! (great piece of backup software anyway) and do a full backup from the external to the internal drive. It will do this and make the drive bootable. This is what I use when replacing my internal drives.

OP
B
Reaction score
Cheers for that -- I tried it & it sadly didn't make any difference, but it was another avenue explored.
An archive & reinstall didn't work either -- it just got to the reboot phase & then hung on the white screen again.
I'm going to try a fresh reinstall & when that fails, I guess I'm resigned to running on an external drive until I can save up for another machine.
Foreffingever, then!
Cheers,
Doug.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try resetting the PRAM.

In what way did Superduper not work out of curiosity. Did it not complete the backup? Or did it complete, including making the disk bootable, but then still not able to boot from it?

OP
B
Reaction score
It completed, but I just had the same problem on reboot.
Luckily I've just fixed it -- apparently this is a known bug with mac ubuntu installs. It's recommended that you install rEFIt before doing the install, which obviously I hadn't.
For me, I created a bootable rEFIt CD, booted to that & ran the partition utility to fix the boot section of the drive, used SuperDuper! to restore my internal HD again, rebooted, and all was well.
Which was a relief!
Cheers for everyone's input!
Doug.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.