• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Quick Question -- Burning Files Onto a DVD

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if this question sounds a little needlessly complicated, it is just that I am normally pretty clueless about these kinds of things so I decided to ask the experts on a forum like this since it has always been very helpful in the past.

That being said, basically what I want to do is burn some files that I found on YouTube onto a DVD-R, and while I think I sort of know what I am doing I still need some help. The first step that I took was to download all of the YouTube videos using the RealPlayer downloader, meaning that I have a library of .flv files.

From there, I know that I need a program that will convert the .flv files, but I don't know what program to use and what format I should be putting the files in so that I can burn them using iDVD. What program do you think I should use, and what filetype should I convert the files into so that I don't lose too much quality but can still burn them onto a DVD?

Finally, I just want to know if DVD-Rs are even what I need . . . as in, will iDVD on a MacBook Pro burn files onto DVD-Rs at all? When I went to the office supply store there was a wide variety of writeable CDs and the person working there told me DVD-Rs would probably be the safest bet.

I apologize for being so clueless -- any help that you could give me would be appreciated! Basically I'm looking for a guide for how to get YouTube files onto DVDs, but I wasn't able to find such a thing on the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I use QuickTime Pro to play those .flv files. I believe you have to add Perian to you system for that to work. Because I now read those files, I can export them from QTP into another format and even size. If you don't have QTP, then perhaps iMovie would work.

I'm not sure what format I'd used for iDVD from an flv file, perhaps H.264. Others can probably say more about that.

DVD-Rs should be fine. You can use System Profiler in the Utilities folder to see what Disc Burning says about that. That is under the Hardware tab. In the Disk Burning window look at DVD-Write and you'll see something like; -R, -RW, +R, +RW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.