Internet stops working

Reaction score
I am having trouble with my internet connection, everything had always been working fine for a couple years, in the last month or so my Mac Mini keeps dropping connection (wireless through Belkin router) and now my eMac is doing the same thing, the eMac is connected directly to the Belkin router. The network status in the system preferences shows "you are connected to the internet via Bulit-in Ethernet," but when I try to access a webpage or send email nothing happens. I do have a PC directly connected to the same Belkin router which is working fine so I don't believe the router is at fault. At first when this would happen very rarely I could restart the modem and/or router and it would work, now even if I restart the modem, router, and computer it still doesn't work. I have not changed any settings and nothing unusual has happened to cause this situation. I am not a technical person at all so any help would be appreciated. I have a cable modem and am running Mac OS 10.3.9.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you able to connect at all with the eMac? Or is the connection intermittent? If you've lost all connectivity with the eMac it may be that the built in airport card is defective. When connected by ethernet cable there aren't many adjustments to make and it appears your router is OK.

Regards.

Reaction score
Did you reset (power off wait for 5 seconds then turn it back on) your belkin router or modem? Try this first. Sometimes it may be the routers or modems got problems...

Hopes that help

OP
J
Reaction score
Are you able to connect at all with the eMac? Or is the connection intermittent? If you've lost all connectivity with the eMac it may be that the built in airport card is defective. When connected by ethernet cable there aren't many adjustments to make and it appears your router is OK.

Regards.

Thanks for your response. I would say that the eMac's connection is intermittent as it was not working for a while 2 days ago, was working yesterday and most of today, then for no reason just stopped working. The problem is, now I can't get it to work again at all, I have restarted everything a few times and it still won't work. Again, this computer is connected directly by an ethernet cable to the router. Right now the mini mac which is connected via wireless through the Belkin router is working.

OP
J
Reaction score
Did you reset (power off wait for 5 seconds then turn it back on) your belkin router or modem? Try this first. Sometimes it may be the routers or modems got problems...

Hopes that help

Thanks, yes I have done that and it does not help. In the past I could do that and get it to work again, but not now.

I have some important files on this computer I need to email, the connection had failed just before I tried to send an email.

Reaction score
I've had a similar problem. Seems to occur when my wireless module gets too hot, around 145F. I'm using Temperature Monitor.
Turning Airport off and then back on temporarily fixes the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks like the router has turned up its toes. They do you know, mine five days after the warranty expired confound it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.