OSX and Windows XP

Reaction score
I have a new macbook pro that I'm trying to install Windows XP on. I have installed Leopard and then ran Bootcamp to repartition the Hard Drive. When it reboots, starts to install windows. Whether I choose NTFS or FAT 32, I keep on getting an error message. When I choose FAT32, I get 'Disk Error Press any key to restart' and when I choose NTFS, I get 'windows could not start because the following file is missing.' this is good CD because I used the CD to install XP on a PC. This is also XP SP2. I am trying to install windows first, then install Leopard. Is this possible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's start from the beginning here.....

What I'm not sure I understand is that you say you have a new MacBook Pro. Didn't it come with Leopard already pre-installed?

You must install Leopard before you can create a Boot Camp partition and install Windows XP.

Also - just because your Windows XP CD works to install XP on a PC does not necessarily mean it's the proper version which can be installed using Boot Camp. Read the Boot Camp installation instructions. (PDF file)

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Dual boot OSX and XP

I'm trying to get a macbook pro dual booting with OSX and XP. I've tried installing OSX first and then installing XP but when it goes to install windows, I get a disk error message. I had tried to install XP first then install OSX, but when I go to install OSX it does not recognize the partition even when I go into Disk Utility and format it OSX Extended (Journaled). Can someone guide me in the right direction so I can get this dual booted with OSX and XP. and do I install OSX first then install XP or does it matter?

Thanks!

Reaction score
question here
if thats ok

why is it illegal to install mac os-x on a pc but ok to install xp on a mac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because that's what the licensing specifies. If you have any questions about why that is, I suggest you direct your questions directly to Apple and Microsoft.

Regards.

Reaction score
When people say "illegal," what they mean is "in violation of the end user license agreement." That's how these guys have set it up, and so be it.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To the OP, are you quick formatting the partition of doing a full format? You have to use Full Format. Not sure if that is your issue, but thought I would mention it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.