turning off firewall in mac os x

Reaction score
I have a manual for mac os x and it recommends turning off the firewall if you have a router, which I do. but I'm not sure how to turn it off -- there's no button that says 'off,' so could someone let me know how to do this, in case I haven't already and don't realize it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall -> Allow all incoming connections should do it

Cheers :)

Hugh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a manual for mac os x and it recommends turning off the firewall if you have a router, which I do. but I'm not sure how to turn it off -- there's no button that says 'off,' so could someone let me know how to do this, in case I haven't already and don't realize it?

Not recommended. Leave your firewall on, just set it so that it's set to allow access to specific services and applications.

Your router which uses NAT (Network Address Translation) is fairly safe in that it keeps your machine isolated, but it's not foolproof. Use the firewall.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.