Websites requiring Internet Explorer

Reaction score
I have a banking website I use that requires using Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher. I regularly use Safari (and Firefox) so I can't access this site without loading up Windows either on my Mac or another PC. Is there any way around this? Even the old IE for Mac is only version 5.x so that doesn't work. I don't have Bootcamp or Parallels on my Mac so I really have to get another laptop running to get this website up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Start pressuring the Bank ~ Ask them for alternatives, Banks need customers to stay in business.
Many will let you use your phone or mobile phone for banking, is that an option?

Personally I'd change banks if mine wouldn't support anything but the Swiss cheese browser IE.
My New Zealand owned bank supports phone, internet & mobile phone banking including iPhones.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a banking website I use that requires using Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher. I regularly use Safari (and Firefox) so I can't access this site without loading up Windows either on my Mac or another PC. Is there any way around this? Even the old IE for Mac is only version 5.x so that doesn't work. I don't have Bootcamp or Parallels on my Mac so I really have to get another laptop running to get this website up.

I believe FireFox has a plug in that emulates Internet Explorer. It may only be for Windows - I'm not sure. In any event, give Opera a try. It has an IE emulation setup that you can use. See the following link:

Opera Ships With IE Setup Emulators || The Mac Observer

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Sometimes you can get sites to load using the Safari debug menu, but if the site uses a lot of Active X then you may find your Bank forcing you switch to another bank
Fixed that. ;)

Definitely try the Develop (Debug) menu, though. In the latest version of Safari, you can turn it on simply by opening Safari Preferences and clicking the checkbox at the bottom of the Advanced pane.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.