• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

mp4 to WMV converter?

Reaction score
Ok, I've racked my brain over this for half a day, I've tried Quick Time pro with the trial version of Flip4Mac installed, FFmpeg, and a few other programs and none of them seem to be capable of converting mp4 to WMV. Everything else I find is for the PC.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you getting only the first 30 seconds of conversion?

Give iMovie a go, create a project, drag a movie in, add it to the timeline and then chose File > Export

Choose Export to Quicktime and select expert settings – Windows media is one of the options

It may be hat you still have to buy Flip4Mac to get this to work properly

iMovie FAQ - Exporting Windows Media

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks I bought the full version of Flip4Mac and now I have the option to export to WMV.

However, I still have one issue, the client says the video pulls up blank on her end. I've re-encoded this several times into lower and lower quality thinking that the bandwidth must have been to much for her computer. However, it still doesn't play on her end, I also tested it out on several computers and it plays for me, but doesn't seem to play for her.

The video location is: Jennifer Litwin in Media the first "Twin Cities Live" link. Can anyone offer any incite why it might not be playing for her? The client is getting upset, and I don't know what to do, from a technical standpoint it's identical to the other videos on the site.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just tried it out here and no issues playing it on a Win machine with WMP 10.
Tried both links just to be sure and on three machines.

Is the client still using WMP 9 perhaps? Is that the "only" one that will not play on her machine?

OP
A
Reaction score
Is the client still using WMP 9 perhaps? Is that the "only" one that will not play on her machine?

Yep, that's the only video not playing. I assume it's because she's using an older version of WMP, but if I ask her to upgrade she'll probably freak out, something along the lines of "My old web designer didn't have issues like this" Either way it's mostly soccer moms that watch and read her stuff, so I would like it to be compatible even with WMP 9. I don't see an option to do this in Flip4Mac, any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Now that you have the full version of flip4mac any app that uses Quicktime can do the conversion

I find MPEG Streamclip is a great free app for simple editing and encoding

If you choose Export to other formats, choose Windows media, in the WM dialogue box choose the advanced button to get more options, good luck

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Found a system here that still has WMP9. Will try it when I can get on the machine.

edit: just tried it, works fine on WMP 9 also. That's on an 8 year old system we're still running here.

Think my next place to ask would be the Flip4Mac folks. They would have a clue if anyone does as to why it may not play on an individual Win machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.