Windows 7 beta is not seen by Bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
so i followed the instructions from the Windows website about burning the iso to a dvd. I tried using this disk via Bootcamp to install windows 7 beta...unfortunately Bootcamp could not see the disk what so ever. I am now left with a partitioned drive on my desktop "Bootcamp." In an effort to gain the 32gb (which is how much space I partitioned for Windows) back for Leopard I erased the Bootcamp drive via disk utility (which did not remove it) I then did a restart (which did not remove it) then I right clicked on the "Bootcamp" drive and clicked "eject bootcamp" after a few seconds this actually got rid of the drive...however when checking my main hard-drive there are still 32gb missing...

so I guess my questions are:

A. Has anyone successfully installed Windows 7 beta via Bootcamp? (perhaps I did something wrong)

B. What is the "PROPER" way to rid your machine of the Bootcamp partition allowing your main HD to absorb this space back.

C. What else can I do to gain back this 32gb (without having to do a fresh install of leapord)

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
Hello oldtimer,
From what I can remember when I took WinXP off Bootcamp, I opened Bootcamp and ran the Restore Partion to OSX or something like that.

A lesson to be learned, never install anything in Beta, wait till all the bugs have been sorted out. Hope this helps.

Cheers LL :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
Sorry oddtimer, I read your user name wrong!

LL

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A. Myself and quite a few others here have successfully installed Win 7 in bootcamp. If the disk couldn't be seen, would think it was not burned properly.

B. To delete a Windows partition - Direct from the Bootcamp guide available to print or save as a pdf from the first screen when you open Bootcamp:
1 Start up in Mac OS X.
2 Quit all open applications and log out any other users on your computer.
3 Open Boot Camp Assistant.
4 Select “Create or remove a Windows partition” and click Continue.
5 Do one of the following:
A If your computer has a single internal disk, click Restore.
B If your computer has multiple internal disks, select the disk with Windows on it, and
then select “Restore to a single Mac OS partition” and click Continue.

C. Don't really have a clue if Bootcamp will work to restore the partition at this point or not. Give it a try. If it won't, you'll probably have to get a third party utility such as iPartition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I too have install Windows 7 successfully.

Can you mount the iso in OSX?

That would give you an idea if the ISO file is intact...

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
Thanks to bobtomay I was successfully able to rid the partition and absorb the space. I checked the disk and it's definately in tact. It is an .iso and when opened it contains various folders as well as some .exe files. I tried it again and it just doesn't see the disk...Maybe can you take me through step by step installing Windows 7 via Bootcamp? thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Boot Camp can't "see" the disk you burned, then the disk is either not bootable or has errors. I suggest burning the ISO again to a new DVD. As a test of the DVD - without having to run it through Boot Camp again - if you have access to a PC, insert the DVD and try to boot the PC with it. If it boots OK, chances are the disk is good and should work. DO NOT test the DVD by trying to boot your Mac with it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.