Automator workflow with itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13.3" 2.4Ghz
After importing all the music from my ipod to my itunes library, i realized that nearly every song was in MPEG audio file format, and from what i know, when you convert a song to AAC, you dont lose any quality but you reduce the file size (if this is not true, please dismiss this and shoot me).
So I started converting my songs to AAC (its 28Gbs of music) after a while it gets very annoying to have to check which one is the orignal MPEG one and delete it.
Soo... earlier i was googling for something and the word automator pops up in one of the results, so i figured i might be able to create a workflow (to convert, and then delete the original file) with it. I dont have any experience whatsoever with automator and have never used it, so i would appreciate a little heads up on how to create a workflow. Thanks in advance

dave

Reaction score
Pretty simple process but I would not mess with it unless you understand what it is doing.

First step is to have automator ask for the files. in your case you want it to ask for music files

second step is to have them imported into itunes as AAC.

done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
After importing all the music from my ipod to my itunes library, i realized that nearly every song was in MPEG audio file format, and from what i know, when you convert a song to AAC, you dont lose any quality but you reduce the file size (if this is not true, please dismiss this and shoot me).

Shoot. ;)

AAC will preserve more audio quality at similar bitrates as MP3 files, but uses different encoding techniques. So you're taking a file encoded with one lossy encoding algorithm and you're re-encoding that with another lossy algorithm. MP3 throws out some bits of the song to shrink it, AAC will throw out some other bits.

But nonetheless, the easy way is to just select multiple MP3's in iTunes and then select 'Advanced > Create AAC version' from the menu bar.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13.3" 2.4Ghz
kay thanks.

it looked like the perfect scenario to use automator for something useful (or not so much) yet simple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.