Tibook Vs. ibook

K

kingcrowing2

I'm looking into getting a new apple laptop... i've basically narrowed it down to three at this point. Obviously one is an ibook and the other is a Tibook
Tibook:
667MHz G4 Tibook- DVI (15.2" 1280x854 Res, 32MB ATI 7500)
512MB RAM
Combo Drive
30GB HD
Price: $825
ibook:
900MHz G3 12"
128MB RAM (will upgrade to 640 MB)
Combo Drive
40GB HD
price: $689
ibook 2:
1Ghz G4 ibook 12"
256MB RAM (Will upgrade to 768MB)
CD drive (yeah... kinda sucks, can it be upgraded?)
40GB HD
Airport (extreme? it is a new ibook...) card installed
1 year Apple warentee (its new)
Price: $900

I know that the Tibook is probably the best of all of them, but will the extra money for the new iBook make a big difference in performance? and is it better to go for the cheaper G3, or is it worth making that leap to a G4? thanks!

OP
J

Jason

ibook 2:
1Ghz G4 ibook 12"
256MB RAM (Will upgrade to 768MB)
CD drive (yeah... kinda sucks, can it be upgraded?)
40GB HD
Airport (extreme? it is a new ibook...) card installed
1 year Apple warentee (its new)
Price: $900
For $99 more you can get a brand new iBook, why bother?

OP
K

kingcrowing2

Yeah... i just noticed that, with my student discount its only $950 with air port and a combo... but i still don't know if thats the best option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
OP
R

ryanyogan

You will kick your self in the head soon if you get the tiBook, although cheap and is a powerbook, the iBook easily outperforms that and has alot less issues. The tiBook was great but has heat issues, screen issues, and didn't like to take a beating at all! I honestly think they look better then the aBooks though, personall thats all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
I'd go for the new iBook...I have the current 12" Model, with a few ram, BT upgrades--You won't regret it!

OP
T

titan0111

ApplejustWorks said:
I'd go for the new iBook...I have the current 12" Model, with a few ram, BT upgrades--You won't regret it!
I'm not sure about kingcrowing2's budget but with HDD(30 to 60GB), memory(256+512MB), BlueTooth upgrades, iBook is close to $1200.

But i will definitely spend extra $100 or 200 for new one...

OP
M

myjay610

Just get a new iBook - you get what you pay for.

My friend bought one similar to the $900 dollar one. He's kickin' himself now wishing he got a new one.

OP
K

kingcrowing2

I guess my main issue is i really like the larger widescreen, i just used a laptop with a 1280x800 and the tibook has 854, i really like that screen so i imagine i'll like this one more

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.