Networking Two Macs

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have a MAC PC 10.5.4 and have just purchased a MAC BOOK as well. As I run my own internet business I wanted to be able to file share on both PCs. One main thing was to; when I delete an email or send an email etc I wanted it to be in sync on both computers - at the moment when I delete an email on one of the computers it does not delete on the other I have to go in and then delete on that one as well, therefore they are not working in sync. I have been in contact with MAC today and they could not help, they said to contact Virgin media who is my provider for my internet and get the IMAP info from them as I am currently setup on POP. On speaking with Virgin Media they were totally hopeless and said they did not support this and to speak with Apple again!? What I need to know is, what are my options, and then what do I need to do, is it straight forward to set-up as I am not technically minded, I just want to be able to run my two computers in sync, is this possible? Any help would be much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Get a free Gmail account, set it up with your POP settings to import your emails from virgin (you can also set it to send from your old email address) and then configure Mail to collect your mails from Gmail using their free IMAP service.

Moving mail from another account to Gmail - Gmail Help

Regarding other files, you could either buy a network attached harddrive such as Apple's time capsule and store files for both Macs there, or just enable file sharing between your two Macs (see the Finder help menu for details)

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply, I have setup a GMAIL account now, I take it then that the way it works is that gmail collects the messages from the virgin email address and forwards them to me. What do I need to do now to set it up?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi, thanks for your reply, I have setup a GMAIL account now, I take it then that the way it works is that gmail collects the messages from the virgin email address and forwards them to me. What do I need to do now to set it up?

Thanks again
Did you follow the instructions under the link I posted?
Once you've done that, follow these:

Apple Mail 3.0 (Leopard) - Gmail Help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.