Tilting causing disk scratch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram, 2008 white
Every time I slightly tilt my MacBook (only a few degress) to merely grab something, or move it onto a table, I hear a grinding noise followed by a slow down of the disk.
Is this something that can be covered under apple warranty? Or is this a live-with problem?
(please don't tell me to not move my computer, as I know many of you might like to reply with that. ;) )

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
are you referring to a CD/DVD or Hard drive?

the MacBook has a "free-fall" sensor where it parks the reader heads when it detects a sudden movement to actually protect your drive from being damaged (and yeah, sometimes it doesn't have to be subtle)

if it's a cd I wouldn't worry about it, assuming you don't put in a cd covered in dirt ;) but still, don't juggle with your laptop while playing a cd :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram, 2008 white
Yeah, its the CD-ROM drive, I should have been less ambiguous. Its just that while I type or do something on the computer and I need a book or a drink or anything, the MacBook will do this as soon as the Mac moves slightly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
That's covered under warrantee. Mine did the same thing - 'grooved up' my CDs and DVDs when I'd pick it up. I had heard of this on other boards where people dismissed it as a myth, but when I checked a DVD one day after moving it around, sure enough it looked like a vinyl record. I didn't hear anything, but it certainly was making contact.

Took it to the Apple store, demonstrated the grooved up discs and they replaced the drive gratis. Fixed the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.