Macbook Pro 15" Santa Rosa 2.2 Absolute Nightmare

Reaction score
:Angry:

This laptop was purchased new from the Apple store 2/07/2008 and I have had problems for 11 months or so and I can't take it anymore. I have AppleCare on it until 2/06/2011. The trackpad jumps the cursor like crazy, the keys on keyboard don't always register when I am typing, the computer groans and whines when the fans accelerate, the screen has white pixel defects on it, and it spits out erroneous discs often when recording with the SuperDrive. Also I forgot to mention that the laptop temperature ran up to 211 degrees fahrenheit (the highest I have ever seen it tested with a thermometer. It has ran anywhere from 180 to 211 degrees a lot of the time. The fans don't appear to do any good. What should I do with this? I don't want to waste a trip to the Genius bar, as I have heard other people complain about them not solving problems that the customers were having. Should I write to Steve Jobs and complain about my computer issues?

Thanks in advance for your help. I just wanted suggestions about what to do about this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
I don't see how a trip to the Apple store would be a waste. I have heard tons of stories on this forum, and elsewhere, saying that they take excellent care of their customers. Sometimes even replacing the problem with newer, upgraded equipment. Really there is nothing to lose. I personally have never needed to use applecare, as my macs have all run flawlessly, but even the best machine ever is still a machine. You are going to have some problems. Don't let the experience sour you on Mac, because it really is a great product. Take it to the Apple store and give them a chance to make it right.

OP
S
Reaction score
I guess the 15 inch models can tend to have a lot of problems...My ex girlfriend had the same model and hers would shut off after a few seconds with good adapter and battery...So it was faulty. I have to say that my 13-inch black book late-2006 and 17-inch MBP late-2006 models were trouble-free in all of the time that I owned them except the firewire going out once on my 17-inch...I just am really worried about the experience I may have with the Genius Bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Unless the problem is through some fault of your own, I don't see anything to worry about. You paid for Applecare for this reason, I'd take advantage of having it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.