Affordable/User-Friendly External Hard Drive for iBook G4?

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase an external hard drive for my iBook G4, and could use some advice. There are so many products on the market, and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to begin.

My primary concerns are that it be relatively affordable (under $150), small-ish in size (I live in a tiny apartment with limited storage space) and VERY user-friendly. (I mostly use my Mac for e-mail, surfing the web, listening to music, and uploading photographs from my digital camera--anything too technical is going to confuse me!)

I plan to use the hard drive primarily for backing up iTunes (about 8,000 songs) and also a few photographs, so 250 GB or so is probably plenty of storage space.

Any recommendations? Anything to avoid? Do I need something specifically designed for Mac (such as those produced by Western Digital) or will any hard drive work?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
What's The New Topic Today?

Good Evening

I am a new member here and just wanted to say howdy to the group.
What's happening today?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Everyone will have a different take on things, but for me personally i like Western Digital. I have a large 1Tb HD but they do produce the My Passport which can just about fit in your back pocket. For your limited space these are a good option.

Mine was very user friendly, set up for time machine. Plugged it in and backed my Mac up.

They come in using either, USB2, firewire 400/800 or eSATA.

Have a look HERE and check them out.

Cheers

Edit : oh and my 1Tb was very affordable at $162 AUD

Reaction score
I bought mine 2 days ago, WD My Passport 320 GB.
Mines not as big as yours, but it works, like a charm;D

To the OP: I can recommend this over a HDD which needs it's own powersupply.
You can't use those when there's no socket around.

Schermafbeelding2009-10-31om144305.png

Cost me 99$ (after currency conversion, I pay in Euro's)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.