Disk Verification Failed

Reaction score
Hi All

My Mac Mini (2GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, OSX 10.5.6) seemed to be running a little slow today, so I tried some maintenance. I ran OnyX, which suggested I needed a disk repair. Fair enough.

I then tried to run a "verify disk" in disk utility, and it gave the following output.

Picture1.png

Don't know if this is a minor thing, or something that will rapidly become terminal. As I say, the machine appears to be running fine, just possibly a little slow.

Any ideas?

Stew

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
While OnyX is a great program to use for verification it can not repair a volume that is in use. You need to do the following:

Boot the machine with your original install media. (Leopard DVD 1) Escape out of the installation process and select Disk Utility from the top menu. Now you can run verify again and it will proceed to correctly repair the free space.

BTW, keep running verify until all errors have been cleared.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, my original post wasn't clear. I went into disk utility, (not on the install disk, but just in the applications folder under "utilities". Do I need to have the leopard instal disk inserted for that to run properly then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sorry, my original post wasn't clear. I went into disk utility, (not on the install disk, but just in the applications folder under "utilities". Do I need to have the leopard instal disk inserted for that to run properly then?
Yes. Not all harddrive maintenance can be done if you're booted off the drive that needs repairing.

But make sure you have a recent backup anyway...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody

you wouldn't cut a branch you're standing on, would you?
repairing a primary system disk has to be done while booted from the install disk (or anything other than the disk itself)

just hit me, not a perfect metaphor since it is actually possible to cut the branch :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.