Why Should I Switch From Windows to Mac?

Reaction score
Hi all I'm seriously thinking of making the switch to Mac and I would be very grateful for user feedback .
Is the greater expense really worth it?
I have a Sony Vaio at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Ask I've said before:

Don't bother asking us. We can't provide the eye candy OS X Leopard provides to all its users. The only way you'll know if you should switch is to go to an Apple Store. Check the Macs out, and take them at face value.

We can't make you experience it - you need to try it yourself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi all I'm seriously thinking of making the switch to Mac and I would be very grateful for user feedback .

Pricing out a new aluminum MacBook against a well equipped Sony Vaio is pretty much a stale mate. Cost is about the same.

What you don't get with the Sony is OS X and the number one customer service and support which Apple enjoys. Like the previous reply stated, try a Mac out before you buy. Go to your local Apple store and have one of the sales people take you through the paces.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I went from HP laptop to ibook, to Toshiba laptop, to 1st gen macbook, to Dell laptop and now to an Alum Macbook. I keep getting my mac and thinking, boy I sure miss "XXXXX" on a PC, so I go back to PC. Then I deal with windows, and with my Dell deal with Vista, I have to download and update my virus scan, I buy a new printer and spend 30 minutes setting it up, only to have it not work the next time I try to use it, I deal with vista asking me if I am sure I want to do this, every single time i try to download anything, then it asks me again, then it asks me Am I SURE I want to do this, and then it dawns on me just how much I love my mac. Go to an Apple store, type a little bit on the floor model, play with it a bit, and then you will know for yourself why so many people happily make the switch.

The only problem I have with my mac is, every time i go to the bookstore with my macbook to do some work, people always ask me why I switched, if I am happy, how is OSX, and on and on and on.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
If you want a computer that is well built and works then look at what Apple has. OS X is great but it requires a different approach. Don't think "I can do it like this on windows" think "how can I do this?". I switch because of Vista, I wanted to before but at uni I needed XP. I will never use windows again.

Check out the systems and let us know what you decide.

Reaction score
...but it requires a different approach. Don't think "I can do it like this on windows" think "how can I do this?".

Having bought a Macbook and then complaining that it does not do this function or that to which I was habituated in Windows, my Macbook was a dormant computer for me. Till I too thought the same way as B&O and started using Mac the same way and it has been different since then. I started looking at help files, forums, etc. (which are plenty) and started knowing step by step how to do each thing i wanted to do. And the journey was fun. Presently, I am exclusively using Macbook - even not using the Windows Desktop in my office.

However, I am still a bit diffident if someone asks me whether I will replace my windows based computer in the near future. Probably not. One reason is that there are many software (on taxes, accounting, etc) that have no mac version (I am from India). Though of course, I am seeing at times at the weirdest of places a small footnote to software advertisement - "Mac version available"!

My thinking is that use the Mac for your personal and mobile work but keep a windows computer handy - I know I will be needing it many times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
My whole take on switching was "They are using Intel chips now, what do I have to lose? I can always run windows if I hate OS X".

Reaction score
I switched myself from a Sony VAIO to the new MBP in October when it was released and I don't regret a single second. I'm totally happy and find OSX really great.

Tex

Reaction score
I definitely prefer Mac OS X to Windows, but since it requires buying a whole new computer, you might also consider trying a GNU/Linux operating system. Ubuntu is quite popular among the free OS newbies, and can be run in "Live CD" mode so you don't necessarily have to install anything. The latest version can also be installed inside Windows somehow, but I have yet to try it.

Reaction score
I wanted to get into vodeo editing and was told by several people to go mac.

Once I started to read about them I got interested. I had no idea people were so passionate aout a computer/software, nor could I believe that I would sing praises about a stupid computer. I have been using win based systems all my life and just assumed that computers are OK but I really dont want one, ( I went 5 years w/o any computer).

Well shortly after Christmas I jumped in and bought a new (refurb from apple) MB. It has never crashed, It runs smoothly. Actually last week I was running 10 programs throught spaces and had 5 brousers operating. The computer was flawless, no lag no crash.

Also being able to just buy a computer that doesnt require antivirus and countless drivers is just amazing...

Irecommend mac all the way now.

ANd if you need to run XP/ Vista, your mac can do that too

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it's all about OS X and ilife.

if you are tired of intricate system maintenance, frequent system and anti-virus update, frequent reboots from multiple times a day to every couple days, then it may be worth a shot.

but if windows does what you want it to do, and you don't mind the maintenance time and tasks. there's really no need to switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1 Gig Processor, 2 MB Ram, 160 HD, 120 Ext HD

roconner, I'm a recent convert to the Macbook as of Sept 08, and it's exceeded my expectations and desires. I am primarily using it for recording music at home, with a few years experience using a PC previously. I don't see myself returning to a Windows format recording program unless it's out of necessity.

Without knowing what your specific needs are, I will tell you that one of my best friends who knows more about Windows than most people have forgotten (he is MCSE certified) recommended I go with Apple, and bought a Macbook Pro this past December himself.

As it's been suggested, I'd recommend visiting an Apple store for a hands on introduction.

Good Luck.

HTAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Having bought a Macbook and then complaining that it does not do this function or that to which I was habituated in Windows, my Macbook was a dormant computer for me. Till I too thought the same way as B&O and started using Mac the same way and it has been different since then. I started looking at help files, forums, etc. (which are plenty) and started knowing step by step how to do each thing i wanted to do. And the journey was fun. Presently, I am exclusively using Macbook - even not using the Windows Desktop in my office.

However, I am still a bit diffident if someone asks me whether I will replace my windows based computer in the near future. Probably not. One reason is that there are many software (on taxes, accounting, etc) that have no mac version (I am from India). Though of course, I am seeing at times at the weirdest of places a small footnote to software advertisement - "Mac version available"!

My thinking is that use the Mac for your personal and mobile work but keep a windows computer handy - I know I will be needing it many times.

Have you considered using iBank. It is very good.

Reaction score
Hi Gandalph, Thanks for feedback. Had a glance at it and will check in more detail. But I am not sure whether it will be as suitable as the local Indian software I use - I am from India.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I use MYOB for my business and ibank for my personal. I love my imac and macbook. For me, it was knowing I had to get a new computer since my Dell was 8 years old and just too slow. I did not want to try Vista. There is one program left on my PC that I use in my business. The Dell did not have a wireless card so I disabled all the spyware and virusware that was hogging the power. It runs like a top now and boots up in seconds instead of minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 4GB DDR3, 10.5.7
Three letters: O S X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
because everyone else is doing it.. join the band wagon..

Reaction score
Pricing out a new aluminum MacBook against a well equipped Sony Vaio is pretty much a stale mate. Cost is about the same.

What you don't get with the Sony is OS X and the number one customer service and support which Apple enjoys. Like the previous reply stated, try a Mac out before you buy. Go to your local Apple store and have one of the sales people take you through the paces.

Regards.

Don't buy Sony, buy hp. HP is much cheaper for the performance you get and has better warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.