SuperDrive and G5 PowerLight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
2 Questions, might as well as them together..

1. Is the SuperDrive that is standard shipped on the June(updated) capable of burning Dual Layer Discs? - ex. I went to make a backup copy of a DVD Movie, but it was dual layer(7.7 GBs), however the discs I have are 4.7 GB(single layer). If I bought Dual Layer discs, could I burn to them?

2. When the PowerMac is on, regularly, not sleeping, is the powerlight on? Or is it like the Cinema Display where it only goes on when the computer either sleeping, or off.

Thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick response!

I do still have one question though...If the drive in the PowerMacs is indeed 16x and Dual Layer...why would Apple patch it down to 8x and single layer only? What advantage does this have for apple except for having below high end parts?

L

Lorn

ApplejustWorks said:
Thanks for the quick response!

I do still have one question though...If the drive in the PowerMacs is indeed 16x and Dual Layer...why would Apple patch it down to 8x and single layer only? What advantage does this have for apple except for having below high end parts?

They probably did it so that they can release a "New! 16x Superdrive!" using the same hardware and make more money.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lorn said:
They probably did it so that they can release a "New! 16x Superdrive!" using the same hardware and make more money.

I seriously doubt that..I can't think of any reason Apple wouldn't want their users to have the latest and greatest...for their latest and greatest(based on more money=better) machine...

Has anyone done this firmware update? I don't think I'm gonna go it...it voids warranty....

G

General_K

ApplejustWorks said:
When the PowerMac is on, regularly, not sleeping, is the powerlight on? Or is it like the Cinema Display where it only goes on when the computer either sleeping, or off.

The power light on the G5 is on steadily when the computer is awake, and pulses slowly when sleeping. It is only off when the computer is off.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
General_K said:
The power light on the G5 is on steadily when the computer is awake, and pulses slowly when sleeping. It is only off when the computer is off.

Actually, as of 10.3.8, as reported by 3 other G5 users, the light is only seen when it is pulsing/sleeing. I'm sure they did this to make it match the Cinema Displays because the displays light is just the same.

G

General_K

ApplejustWorks said:
Actually, as of 10.3.8, as reported by 3 other G5 users, the light is only seen when it is pulsing/sleeing. I'm sure they did this to make it match the Cinema Displays because the displays light is just the same.

I have a PowerMac G5. It's running 10.3.8. My power light is on when awake, and pulses when sleeping, just as it has always done.

I don't have a Cinema Display. Is it possible that the PM G5 detects that a Cinema Display is attached, and only then changes the behavior of the power light?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
General_K said:
I have a PowerMac G5. It's running 10.3.8. My power light is on when awake, and pulses when sleeping, just as it has always done.

I don't have a Cinema Display. Is it possible that the PM G5 detects that a Cinema Display is attached, and only then changes the behavior of the power light?
Oneof the G5 user's does not have a cinema display...so.....????

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just reading Apple Support Forums, and it appears that even after you restart initally after installing 10.3.8, if you shut down, and then start up it will appear again in about 30 seconds.

There ya go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 G5 -- 3 Gigs RAM -- 23" Cinema Display -- OneTouch II 300GB External HD -- Wacom Intuos3
AJW,

you posted...

"1. Is the SuperDrive that is standard shipped on the June(updated) capable of burning Dual Layer Discs? - ex. I went to make a backup copy of a DVD Movie, but it was dual layer(7.7 GBs), however the discs I have are 4.7 GB(single layer). If I bought Dual Layer discs, could I burn to them?"

1. MacTheRipper (rips dvd, free at versiontracker.com)
2. Roxio Popcorn (compress and burn)
3. Fugettaboudit!!! :cool:

later
kurt

both are extremely easy to use and they work perfectly

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats kurt, is Roxio Toast 6 Titanium capable of this? Problem is I don't see a compress option!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Popcorn is a separate application

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.