Difference between entry level/mid range Macbook?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking about getting my first Macbook but I'm wondering what the differences between these two Macbooks are, apart from the material of the casing (and larger hardrive)? I'd certainly prefer the aluminum model but I find it hard to justify almost £200 extra!

As a novice, can anyone help me out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
It's all listed on the apple website. Basically the mid level macbook has a LED back lit screen, faster ram (667mhz vs. 1066mhz), bigger hard drive, longer battery life ( 4.5hr vs. 5hr), faster video card shared memory (ddr2 vs. ddr3), almunium case, lighter laptop ( 4.5lbs vs. 5lbs.), thinner (0.95" vs 1.08").

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
no cracking issues, less heat, no orange palm issues,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
One thing to keep in mind about DDR3, though, is that it's only a little faster but it's a lot more expensive. In fact, DDR3 is actually sort of a disadvantage. A lot of PC builders like me are specifically avoiding moving up to a DDR3-compatible motherboard because it costs twice as much as DDR2.

However, there are a lot of advantages to the aluminum MacBook. Probably the biggest one is the screen - it's LED-backlit, so it's brighter, has more vibrant colors, and will never lose brightness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Aluminum) 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
The ram is more expensive but it seem like the system uses much less and 2G are fine :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White
I have just bought the 2.0 c2d early '09 macbook in white and I am very very pleased with it. It does HD video rendering and runs like a dream. I couldnt justify the extra £200 for the aluminium one when the only differences really are the ddr3 and the led screen. a 320Gb Hd and extra 2Gb ram (Bought as 2 x 2Gb) came to less than £90 delivered.

Cant fault it (yet)

Andi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.