What price to sell my iMac G5 which needs a new logic board?

Reaction score
Hello, I am wanting to sell my iMac G5 for parts, etc. It only needs a new logic board, which through Apple I was told that it was worth selling when I brought it in and the logic board problem was determined.

I can't find similar eBay listings as mine, others seem to have other problems.

Mine is 17" and it's a PowerPC type... and everything works perfect except needing the new logic board.
The Mighty Mouse is brand new and the keyboard is used but looks great and is in perfect working order (if those two items even matter to the type of person who would buy!)
The iMac itself is in perfect condition.
It still has the original manuals and startup disks and box also!

So... what should I list it for? My guess was to start a bid at $299 but is that too low?

What are some important specifications I should list and where can I find them? I have done the 7-times pass erase and have it to the point where the new person can turn it on and input their information so I am curious if I could find other specifications in the manual maybe. hmm... I know I will have to look for myself, but anything in particular?

So... what price would you guys suggest?

Thanks for any help!!

--edited to add--
I also put in more ram last summer so now I believe there's 4G of ram... and also has the iSight.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Considering that a logic board for your machine retails for around $649.95 to $849.95 (old board must be traded in) you need to take that into consideration when selling it. I'm not sure what it's worth in its "as is" condition but your starting bid of $299.00 certainly sounds reasonable to me.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
$299? I certainly wouldn't pay that for a hard drive, memory and screen!

It's near worthless without the logic board. I'd be setting my sights a lot lot lower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
Agreed! worthless. Maybe you can take it apart and sell the pieces, but I doubt you'll get anything for it. I suggest find a 17" G5 iMac, on ebay or what have you,with a problem that has nothing to do with the logic board. Buy it, take the logic board out and put it in yours, and then sell it

Reaction score
I can fix it if

You can take the logic board out and send it to me . If it has bad caps I can replace them for way less than a new logic board. The power supply could also be suspect. If you take off the back there are 3 leds for diagnostic purposes.

MTI

Reaction score
It does seem that most of the "logic board bad' issues on the G5 iMacs are from the bad capacitors that the computer industry got hit with back a few years ago. If you're willing to do some soldering, about $16 worth of caps is all it takes to redo the entire board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.