Dual Monitors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.6GHz 4GB Ram
Hey all, I just got a new iMac. I have to say I love it much more than my PC and wonder why people weren't able to convince me to switch before.
Everything has been very easy to switch.

However I have just a few questions...
On windows I used to use a CRT primary monitor and HDTV secondary monitor to play tv shows and movies in full screen with a playlist. I used windows media player. I really like the spaces feature but when I'm playing a video on my tv I can't lock the fullscreen and it goes away if I change spaces. I'm wondering if theres something that can keep the fullscreen ontop of all spaces? What's a good media player that can lock aspect ratio at 16:9 ?

also what does this character mean?
I understand command & T but the 1st character i've never seen before lol
15yfdcl.png

I guess that's it for now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
The first character stands for the option or alt key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
bitsofbacon said:
On windows I used to use a CRT primary monitor and HDTV secondary monitor to play tv shows and movies in full screen with a playlist. I used windows media player. I really like the spaces feature but when I'm playing a video on my tv I can't lock the fullscreen and it goes away if I change spaces.

A bit tricky:

- Go to: System Preferences > Exposé & Spaces then select Spaces
- Click the "+" icon and click 'other'
- Find Quicktime player and select it
- Under the 'Spaces' Column, select 'Every Space'

That will force Quicktime player to be visible on every space you select. Then just make sure Quicktime Player fullscreen mode is assigned to the correct display under 'Quicktime > Preferences > Full Screen. (Drag the Quicktime icon to the appropriate screen).

bitsofbacon said:
What's a good media player that can lock aspect ratio at 16:9 ?
Quicktime player will auto-detect aspect ratio and play movies accordingly. You can "stretch" movies in full-screen mode to fill your screen as well, by clicking the overlay icons. To always "stretch" 4:3 movies to fill your screen, go to Quicktime > Preferences > Full Screen and select 'Fill screen' for all movie sizes.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And here's an image that'll tell you what key belongs to all those shortcut icons.
Click to open, then drag and drop it on your desktop to keep a copy.

Mac_keyboard_symbols.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.