Networking

Reaction score
Anyone know of any good online guides for networking OS X with Windows XP? I have a basic network setup, and I can transfer files back and forth, but I like to change some of the settings that control the file sharing and I don't know how. Thanks for any help.

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
Opps...didn't realize there was a networking forum....this can be deleted.

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
I guess I do have a questions in regards to networking...

When I open up finder, and click on Network, I get 4 options...

Local
MSHOME - Windows Network
WORKGROUP (??)
Servers

When I click on local, it brings me to my local files. How do I change which files are in here?

MSHOME is my Windows network. I can connect to this network w/o a problem, but when I restart my Mac, I have to reconnect. Is there a way to make OS X connect automatically?

WORKGROUP...I don't know what this is. Is the the default WORKGROUP OS X sets up, just as Windows creates MSHOME? How do I rename it, or become a member of the MSHOME workgroup?

Servers...Whenever I click on this, it just forwards me to my main HD. I'm assuming my PowerMac sees itself as a server?

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
Nobody in here knows how to setup a network with Macs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.