Transferring files to external drive

Reaction score
I'm selling my i mac g5 os 10.4.11 and need to transfer all my files, especially i tunes to an external drive. How do I do this? Thanks, Sidney

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
For itunes just use the Consolidate library command under the file menu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To copy everything over, I would recommend using something like SuperDuper! (the free mode would be sufficient). That way you'll get a complete copy of your entire harddrive.

@Lousihen: Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't 'consolidate' just copy all your music files into the iTunes library? That still leaves you with the issue of moving everything to an external drive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sorry, Aptmunich, you are right. You must first change the location of your iTunes music library in iTunes preferences, then use consolidate library - which will then move your music to the new location you set in preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sorry, Aptmunich, you are right. You must first change the location of your iTunes music library in iTunes preferences, then use consolidate library - which will then move your music to the new location you set in preferences
Ah, gotcha. Yeah - that's a nice way of doing it too!

OP
K
Reaction score

That was easy. Thanks. now, how do I transfer the files in my external drive into my new computer i tunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Just drag and drop them into iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.