Getting Dull Picture thru DVI-D to HDMI

Reaction score
I have connected a macbookpro with a DVI-D to HDMI cable to a 24" monitor and am getting a very dull/blurry picture, the same monitor is connected to a windows desktop via VGA to VGA cable and am getting a crisp picture, color is OK on both though. Anybody have a clue why this is happening? Shouldn't I be getting a superior image via the mac?

Note: the cable is a Monster HDMI 400 to DVI 2M cable, the graphics card is a 9600M GT, and the monitor is an HDMI/VGA 1920x1200 LCD.

Also note: I tried two other brands of cable both DVI-I to HDMI (Rocket-Fish and RCA) and had a sharper picture but nowhere near as sharp as the VGA analog connection. The desktop only has VGA out (no HDMI/DVI) otherwise I would've tested the cable on the desktop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
More info is required. Assume you have adjusted the resolution being sent from the Mac to the TV?

What type of picture? Video? pictures? text?

Have found that with video, my MBP puts out a picture as good as my Win machine. When it comes to text, yep you're right. Looking at a text document, reading mail, or browsing the web, the text is blurry when compared to that of a Win machine.

Check out this article on font smoothing. It'll give you a little background. Basically, it has to do with the Mac being designed for print and graphic artists being able to see, on screen, what will come out when printed. I say, what has that got to do with over 90% of what we read on our computers? But, apparently, I'm in the minority as it seems most don't even notice it.

Sorry to say, for me, even after 2 years with my Mac, and love OS X, it's appearance on a large TV screen with a full screen browser open bites when compared to the same image from a Windows or Linux machine.

You can look around for how to adjust the anti-aliasing. I've forgotten what I did 2 yrs ago. But, it didn't help much. I just gave up connecting my Mac to the big screen except for watching movies.

There are other articles you can ferret out with a little googling on font smoothing comparisons between the two OS's.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for answering bobtomay. Well it's really everything, the whole image, whether text video or pictures just looks too blurry to work with, and beyond the differences in the article (I agree too, most people are going to be reading from screen rather than publishing.) Btw, it's not a TV (no tuner) just a monitor, but @ 1920x1200 native res I should be getting a decent overall image if not text, but it just looks horrible compared to the MBP's screen in mirror view.

I'll see if I can find anything here and elsewhere to solve it otherwise it'll be useless connecting the MBR.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.