Missing Textedit...i think it got deleted :S

Reaction score
My sister used my macbook today and thought she could erase evidence that she used it by deleting all "search for TODAY" programs in finder i.e. the programs she used on that day. She ended up deleting my firefox and messenger which i was able to replace but she also deleted my text edit...what do i do?? should i restore?

if i do restore will i loose everything on my computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't just "restore" Text Edit without having to re-install all included applications with OS X. A real pain. :( However, all is not lost. You can use "Pacifist" from CharlesSoft to extract Text Edit from the original media and re-install just it.

Pacifist

Here's another option: Since Pacifist is shareware ($) you might wish to download a free text editor and install it instead of the included Text Edit.

"Smultron" is free and is a very powerful text editor. I use it in place of Text Edit. Download it from here.

Regards.

Reaction score
Bean is also a very good text editor, much better if you ask me.;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Bean is also a very good text editor, much better if you ask me.;)

Bean is actually a word processor but you're right, it can also be used as a text editor. BTW, I like Bean simply because it can save documents as *.doc by setting it as the default. Very convenient.

Regards.

OP
V
Reaction score
im a pretty patient person so I don't mind re-installing the apps as i dont know if she might have deleted anything else (she denies deleting my apps when I knw very well she did)...but would I loose my other apps e.g. appzapper, screenium, toast...???

Also...is there an app that let's me see a log of my computers activities...i think that would be a useful tool in the future.

Thanks in advanced!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im a pretty patient person so I don't mind re-installing the apps as i dont know if she might have deleted anything else (she denies deleting my apps when I knw very well she did)...but would I loose my other apps e.g. appzapper, screenium, toast...???

Also...is there an app that let's me see a log of my computers activities...i think that would be a useful tool in the future.

Thanks in advanced!

You don't want to reinstall all your applications because that would additionally require having to reinstall all updates again. Just follow what I originally replied to you, that's the easiest way.

As for a log of computer activity, the answer is yes. Double click on the following file: /var/log/system.log

The log file will open and you can read it as plain text.

Regards.

Reaction score
Help!

So the same thing happened to me, Text Edit got deleted on my computer. I liked it and want it back but it's been completely erased from my computer. How do I go about re-installing it? I didn't quite understand the first post?:Grimmace:

C

chas_m

You can retrieve it from your Time Machine backup, because you have backups.

Of course.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That's one smart sister you got there.

C

chas_m

PS. Additionally, Pacifist will indeed let you retrieve it from your system restore discs or your retail OS X disc. Just tested it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.