AirPort Extreme --> Port Forwarding 4 NAS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Mac OS X 10.5.6
I am trying to configure Port Forwarding/Mapping for my Airport Extreme so that I can access my NAS hard drive online. Here's the specs:

NAS -> Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo (LS-W1.0TGL/R1-V3), Firmware 3.07, IP Address: 71.64.192.140, Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0, Default Gateway 0.0.0.0

Airport Extreme -> Firmware 7.3.2, IP Address 71.64.194.21, Router Address: 71.64.192.1

And finally, I don't have a static IP address.

Buffalo has an very simple online portal (BuffaloNAS.com) that you can access the NAS from. I spoke with the Buffalo tech department and they gave me the following settings for the NAS:

Web Access Service: Enabled
HTTPS/SSL Encryption: Enabled
Use BuffaloNAS.com: Enabled
DNS Hostname: [blank]
Auto-Configure Firewall (UPnP): Disabled
External Port: 9000

After making these configurations and still prompted with the "Error accessing BuffaloNas.com, check internet settings" the Buffalo Tech guy said that I'd need to open up a port on the router for the NAS.

Now to AirPort Utility...

First I select the "Internet" tab and change Connection Sharing from "Off (Bridge Mode)" to "Share a public IP address."

[BTW, after making this change I no longer have internet access]

Two sub-nav tags appear next to "Internet Connection," those being "DHCP" & "NAT." I select "NAT" and confirm that "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" is checked while "Enable default host at:" is not checked.

Clicking the button "Configure Port Mappings," I'm taken to the "Advanced" tab, sub-nav "Port Mapping" where I'll hit the "+" to create a new network access rule.

Here is where I am lost.

Public UDP Port(s): ?
Public TCP Port(s): ?
Private IP Address: 10.0.1.201
Private UDP Port(s): ?
Private TCP Port(s): ?

I've tried a few combinations I've found on various forums but I honestly don't really know what I'm doing at this point. I thought I was supposed to change the Private IP Address to that of the NAS but it will only allow me to change the last of the four numbers (ie 10.0.1.XXX). I've realized that I can change this slightly by going to the "Internet" tab "DHCP" sub-nav. However, it only gives me the beginning address options "10.0", "172.16" or "192.168."

So at this point, I could definitely use some pearls of wisdom. I'd really appreciate your time and help with this matter!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You need to enter 9000 as the ports. Private IP address needs to be whatever your Mac is using as its IP address. Since you're not using a static IP address, your IP address will be whatever your router has assigned you via DHCP.

I'm confused though: If your airport was in "Bridge mode", where is the internet connection established from?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Mac OS X 10.5.6
I changed all the posts to 9000 but I can't change the Private IP address to 71.64.194.21 because it only gives me the option to change the last number (ie 10.0.1.XXX).

After doing it, internet drops out.

As for Internet Connection/Bridge Mode...

I've got a cable modem from Time Warner Cable that connects from the modem directly to my Airport Extreme. From there, I've connected 1 PC with the first jack, the second jack is empty, the NAS is located on the third jack and my MacBook is on the wireless. I don't think it's actually in bridge mode because if I go to the AirPort Utility Summary the "Wireless Mode" is "Create a wireless network."

Additional thoughts?

(And thanks for the super fast response!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Basically what you're doing is this:
You have 1 public IP address assigned to you by your ISP (71.blabla) - think of this as your public phone number. If someone out on the internet "calls" that address, they'll reach your Airport extreme.

Your NAS expects "calls" via port 9000. You need to tell the airport to forward all calls to that port to the NAS.

Now: All devices inside your home also have an internal phone number. To distinguish these from "public" phone numbers, they have to start with "192." or "10.".

At the moment, your airport is most likely assigning the "internal phone numbers" automatically via DHCP. You'll need to assign the NAS a fixed internal IP address (phone number) and then tell the airport to forward all requests to the port 9000 to the NAS's internal IP address.

Go to your NAS's internal configuration page (assuming it has one) and look up what IP address it's using there. If it's configured to use DHCP, switch it to static and manually pick an address (so you don't have to keep reconfiguring the airport's port forwarding). Then enter that static internal IP address in the airport's port forwarding settings.

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know that the information I gleaned from your discussion was just what I needed to get remote access setup for my Buffalo NAS drive.

It also has inspired me to join this forum.

Thanks

Reaction score
Help please!!!!!

Hi,

I’m in need of some help…….. I have been working at this for six hours and the hard drive is about to go out the window!!!!

What I am trying to do is access my hard drives (2) that are connected to my home network over the internet.

My network setup is as follows, I have a ADSL connection which is connected to a Belkin N1 Router/modem, I then have two airport extremes connected to one hard drive each. My home network works fine I can access all hard drives regardless of which access point I am connected to.

Now I have set up a dyndns account and the belkin has a feature where I put the details in and it automatically updates the ip address. I can type in my xxxxx.dyndns.net:8080 into my browser and can get to the belkin router setup page……. But that’s as far as I can get.

I don’t know how to forward the ports or the numbers to the two airport routers to gain access to the discs

I would appreciate any help you guys can give

Thanks Nino

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Hi,

I’m in need of some help…….. I have been working at this for six hours and the hard drive is about to go out the window!!!!

What I am trying to do is access my hard drives (2) that are connected to my home network over the internet.

My network setup is as follows, I have a ADSL connection which is connected to a Belkin N1 Router/modem, I then have two airport extremes connected to one hard drive each. My home network works fine I can access all hard drives regardless of which access point I am connected to.

Now I have set up a dyndns account and the belkin has a feature where I put the details in and it automatically updates the ip address. I can type in my xxxxx.dyndns.net:8080 into my browser and can get to the belkin router setup page……. But that’s as far as I can get.

I don’t know how to forward the ports or the numbers to the two airport routers to gain access to the discs

I would appreciate any help you guys can give

Thanks Nino

I doubt that you would be able to "share" these drives via the internet on their own. By that I mean, unless you have a computer/device as a server "serving" these drives, you cannot do it. I was thinking of doing the same, but I think I need myself an FTP server to use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.