Connecting MacBook to an LCD HDTV

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I'm attempting to connect my Macbook to an LCD HDTV. I have: A) the mini-DVI-DVI converter, B) the appropriate cables for sound, hooking straight into the TV and not a receiver, and C) the DVI - > HDMI cable

When I try it...the sound works ok, but the screen won't stop displaying the Macbook's Desktop picture. I start the movie...and sound comes out through the TV (good) but the picture remains the same.

Anyone know how I can fix this? I thought I was doing it right...?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A. Drag whatever app it is you're using to watch the movie to the TV screen. Move your mouse off the edges of the screen and you'll figure out which side of the screen.

or

B. open System Preferences / Displays and put a check in Mirror Display (something like that anyway) and you'll have the same thing displayed on both screens.

OP
R
Reaction score
A. Drag whatever app it is you're using to watch the movie to the TV screen. Move your mouse off the edges of the screen and you'll figure out which side of the screen.

or

B. open System Preferences / Displays and put a check in Mirror Display (something like that anyway) and you'll have the same thing diplayed on both screens.

Thanks for the quick response! My girlfriend has Leopard, so I'll check on her machine when I'm there later on.

For option a: I'll have to drag the app to the TV screen??? I wasn't aware that would need to happen - on my Plazma, the picture comes up no problem (but I have a non-Leopard macbook, and a plasma...so I know it could be different)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's because your machine is using option 'b' and is set to mirroring mode. Uncheck mirroring on yours, and you'll have to drag and drop also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.