PC & Mac networking

Reaction score
I've been reading the threads on networking PC's and Mac's and have to smile when I read how easy it is to get the PC to see the Mac. Both my computers connect to the internet thru a DSL modem connected to a Linksys Etherfast router and Linksys switch (which may be redundant). My Mac(OS X) sees the PC(Windows XP) (although not the USB attached printer which has sharing set up) and its shared files thru "Connect to Server" with no problem at all. I can access and change the PC's files at will from my Mac. However.... the PC refuses to see the Mac. I've set up file and printer sharing on the Mac and turned off the firewall. The PC will successfully ping the Mac's address. I've tried to get the PC to: search for computers on the network, create a network place for the Mac, create a workgroup to include the Mac. Nothing. Realistically, if I could just get the Mac to access the PC's printer, I would stop at that. But I think that that problem is related to not being able to see the Mac form the PC. Any suggestions???

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question, but have you gone to Preferences>Sharing and Turned Windows Sharing on?

I

IChing

Try reading through this thread at apple forum

It help me setting up mine. Updated trying to get link hold on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Maybe I have misunderstood, but have you gone to printer setup utility > add new printer and looked for the networked printer in there?

OP
E
Reaction score
mynameis said:
Might be a stupid question, but have you gone to Preferences>Sharing and Turned Windows Sharing on?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I used the Help feature on The Mac OS to try and set up The Mac for sharing/networking and that was one of the first things I did. At the same time I've been working from the Mac side to see the PC's printer which is set up for sharing from the PC's side( it shows up on the PC as a shared printer).

OP
E
Reaction score
muso said:
Maybe I have misunderstood, but have you gone to printer setup utility > add new printer and looked for the networked printer in there?

Thanks for the reply. I've been there and only see the printer that I have connected to the Mac. When I try>add new printer the PC's printer is not there. I do see a "Windows printing" selection but I have nothing to associate it with. I think this is due to the fact that the PC doesn't show up as a network place/server/workgroup on my Mac but rather is accessed thru the "Connect to Server" command. I may not be able to access that printer until I solve the other problem of getting the two to see each other on a network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.