• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Suggestions for how to convert avi to dvd or mp4

Reaction score
I looking for help to convert avi files to mp4 and dvd. If any one can walk me thru that it would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OK we'll do this step by step

Does the AVI play OK in Quictime player, and do you want just a general mp4 or one specifically to play on an ipod

OP
M
Reaction score
Nope Quicktime launches but a error message says I need additional software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, no it does not play in Quicktime and yes I think I just want a general mp4. My goal is to convert the avi to whatever format needed to burn onto a dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, you need to install the Perian components, since most Mac video converters use Quicktime as a base, Perian will just allow Quicktime to play the movie, once it plays then it will be a simple thing to convert the file using programs like MPEG StreamClip

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, installed Perian and restarted. AVI now plays! Do I need converter software to continue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's pretty much it, there are a lot of converters out there, but I find MPEG StreamClip pretty simple

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Its pretty simple to use, just drag your movie in, and select one of the save options

But now that that AVI plays, conversion might be unnecessary, iDVD, Toast or the open source Burn can now make a DVD out of that file that will play on a DVD player without the need to convert to MP4

Burn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.53ghz MBP
Hi louishen i follow all of your steps, i just dont know which file i should save it as. I am trying to burn it on to a dvd-r so i can play it using a blu ray i think its supposed to be DV but im not sure, i am going to try and look it up after posting this but i figured i should post first and search later so i can get a response sooner

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.