Help with setting up Static IP address with Airport Express

Reaction score
Anyone know how to set up a static IP address with Airport Express? I am trying to forward my port so that I can get faster downloads using VUZE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Set it to only assign DHCP to a pre-determined range (ie: 10.0.1.80 thru 10.0.1.90) then you can assign a static IP on your Mac (ie: 10.0.1.10)

I believe it's under Network and then the NAT tab. Sorry, I don't have the Airport Utility handy to check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
IanCT is correct. You need to adjust the DHCP range on your Airport Express (to avoid it assigning the same IP address as you've chosen).

Then under System Preferences > network > airport > advanced > TCP/IP you need to select "DHCP with manual address". Then pick an address just outside of the range you picked (e.g. 10.0.1.49) and you should be all set.

OP
J
Reaction score
Set it to only assign DHCP to a pre-determined range (ie: 10.0.1.80 thru 10.0.1.90) then you can assign a static IP on your Mac (ie: 10.0.1.10)

I believe it's under Network and then the NAT tab. Sorry, I don't have the Airport Utility handy to check.

O.K. I know how to set up the static IP address but how to I asign a pre-determined range for my DHCP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This thread seems to be dying. Come on guys give me a hand, please
You might want to wait more than an hour for answers you know...

- Open Airport Utility, select your device
- Select 'Internet > DHCP'
- Select a network address (10.0.0.0 or 192.168.0.0 etc.)
- Enter the starting IP range you want, e.g. x.x.13.50 - x.x.13.150
- Hit apply

I don't have an airport device here any more, but that's roughly how I remember it.

OP
J
Reaction score
You might want to wait more than an hour for answers you know...

- Open Airport Utility, select your device
- Select 'Internet > DHCP'
- Select a network address (10.0.0.0 or 192.168.0.0 etc.)
- Enter the starting IP range you want, e.g. x.x.13.50 - x.x.13.150
- Hit apply

I don't have an airport device here any more, but that's roughly how I remember it.

O.K. thanks! Looks like there are two options:

DHCP Beginning Address (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "starting" IP range). Looks like the drop down menu gives me two more sets of numbers to choose from

and

DHCP Ending Address

Must I designate anything for the ending address or should I just change the first couple of numbers for the beginning address and hit apply?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The last digits of the end address minus the last digits of the starting address specify the number of clients you can have on your network.

E.g. if you specify 192.168.10.6 to 192.168.10.19 you'll have a total of 13 available addresses. (only the last spot of the address is relevant in this case).

So either raise the starting address and use the numbers below that for your static addresses (e.g. don't start at .0 or .1, start at .10 or .15), or shorten the address at the end (e.g. don't end at .255, use .245 or .200 instead and use the addresses up to .255 for your static addresses).

Hope this makes sense!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.