Syncing Shared Calendars from Exchange

Reaction score
I have an iPod Touch that I have my email and calendar synced to through an MS Exchange server. My calendar syncs, but calendars that are shared with me do not. Is it possible to sync those shared calendars? I saw where you cannot sync multiple Outlook calendars via iTunes, but I have seen nothing on my actual issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I have an iPod Touch that I have my email and calendar synced to through an MS Exchange server. My calendar syncs, but calendars that are shared with me do not. Is it possible to sync those shared calendars? I saw where you cannot sync multiple Outlook calendars via iTunes, but I have seen nothing on my actual issue.

Shared calendars only appear in the Outlook client on your PC and do not sync with any phone. Same goes for Outlook Web Access - you will only see your own Inbox/Calendar/Contacts.

I believe the iPhone accesses Exchange using the OWA HTTP protocol as the Windows Smartphones do, that's why there is no additional configuration needed on an Exchange Server when you link an iPhone with your Exchange account.

OP
F
Reaction score
Shared calendars only appear in the Outlook client on your PC and do not sync with any phone. Same goes for Outlook Web Access - you will only see your own Inbox/Calendar/Contacts.

I believe the iPhone accesses Exchange using the OWA HTTP protocol as the Windows Smartphones do, that's why there is no additional configuration needed on an Exchange Server when you link an iPhone with your Exchange account.

I looked and it is using the OWA to sync, so if I manually reconfigure it to use the actual Exchange server like my Outlook client does, do you think it would work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure how you mean, as far as I can tell the setup parameters are the same, the iPhone asks for the Exchange Server host name, your username and password. Same as the Outlook client (sans password if on a domain).

I don't think you can sync shared calendars on an iPhone. I just checked mine and it doesn't show Public Folders either.

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you mean, as far as I can tell the setup parameters are the same, the iPhone asks for the Exchange Server host name, your username and password. Same as the Outlook client (sans password if on a domain).

I don't think you can sync shared calendars on an iPhone. I just checked mine and it doesn't show Public Folders either.

We have 3 Exchange servers each syncing with each other and handling different aspects (in this case OWA -- simply manages web access to the other 2 servers--, Students, Staff/Faculty. MS actually uses us as a model and supports us free of charge due to the fact that our Exchange system handles more than what MS designed it for, and they like keeping up on what difficulties we have.)

My iPod Touch automatically connected to the OWA server, which is not the same one that my Outlook Client uses. I was wondering if manually reconfiguring my iPod to use that server would sync the additional calendars and public folders. I did go ahead and try that, and it failed to connect, so apparently that idea won't work. My assumption from what you are telling me and my experiment is that it simply is not possible. I may have to contact Apple to suggest that as a future feature in another update. It would really be helpful in my work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do all three Exchange servers have public IP's? It sounds like the one with OWA is your bridgehead server and the other two are behind a firewall.

But if you tried to use an Exchange Server (assuming all three have public IP's) that your mailbox isn't homed on, that could be why it failed to connect.

Give some feedback to Apple AND Microsoft. But if the iPhone continues to use OWA for syncing, and Microsoft doesn't develop OWA to support shared calendars, you might be SOL for the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.