Applecare Not Covering Repair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram, 2008 white
So here is my long story short:
Problems with kernel panicing Macbook; called apple support (for 5 hours), reinstalled OS, ran diagnostics (no apparent hardware problems it said). The apple expert told me to get it repaired at a local apple service provider; he said to let them know that the logic board and ram should be replaced (the ram was just because i was covered under waranty and he said "why not do it? :)" ). I did just this.

I dropped off the computer told them everything that happened and what was said by apple support. They called me 3 days later wanting further explanation, so I did just that.
I got my computer back; and sure enough it was fixed. However, they told me that apple waranty does not cover software and they did an SMC and PRAM reset (could have done both myself) and cleared some caches (wouldn't my OS reset have cleared them, seeing as I formated my drive?). I was charged $50 (on top of an hours walk to get their, and another hour back [bus strike, taxis too too busy]).

Anyways, I did not get any symapthy from apple support when I told them I was charged for something that would have been fixed if they would have done a hardware fix (like he told me). Is there any justice in apple waranty/support? or will users like myself find that my apple extended plan is just going to be a waste of $300.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
If you read the Applecare blurb it states it covers both hardware and software problems.

Therefore you should not have been charged.

I would take this up with the store.

Reaction score
If you read the Applecare blurb it states it covers both hardware and software problems.

Therefore you should not have been charged.

I would take this up with the store.

Call corporate and complaint. You should not have to pay for it (hardware and software is covered). Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.