Finder activating automatically

Reaction score
Sorry, not a Mac person but I use one at work. It's an eMac with 10.4.11.

About a week ago I cleared the screensaver and saw a dialogue box indicating updates had been downloaded and installed and the system needed to rebooted, which I did. Other than that, there is nothing that seems worthy of note that has changed on the system.

Since then, the Finder app automatically takes focus from any other app running. That is, if I'm emailing (or writing this post) and the top of my screen shows the menu for Mail or Firefox (File Edit View etc), after about one or two minutes, even when I'm typing and not sitting idly, the Finder app flips up to the front and takes focus and my typing stops appearing on the screen. I have to Alt-Tab or otherwise select my active app to get back to typing.

I have had a tech person run me through the Repair Disk Permissions procedure but it didn't help.

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks,
David

OP
G
Reaction score
One more interesting point, perhaps: (and this seems to be new) If I open a window to a folder (in Finder) and then cycle through the open windows using Alt-Tab, that folder is still displayed in the Finder window.

However if I open that folder window, and then go back to email or this forum post, and wait until the anomoly occurs bringing Finder back into active focus, the folder window no longer appears. I'm pretty sure those windows used to remain open for me before this started, as I could often Tab around and find other documents I needed to open and so forth.

Thought I'd add this in to the mix.

OP
G
Reaction score
Bump.

Am I the only one in the Mac universe with this problem? I don't want to be this special. Okay... so any other forums you might suggest I try then?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Finder taking focus

I am experiencing the very same problem right after I updated to 10.4.11 via Software Update. I am also getting interrupted by Finder while I'm typing this.

I work on an iBook G4 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM.

Anyone else with this annoyance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.