SSH in OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1
More of an advanced question for the switcher lounge but I'm wondering if Leopard has secure shell built in.

Can I open terminal and SSH into my server like I can under Linux? If, so is the syntax the same? ssh user@host:port/path/to/where/i/want/to/go

Secondly can I have SSH shortcuts on my desktop for file transfers..what about FTP?

Thanks a million,
DAn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
ssh is exactly the same in BSD as it in in linux.

Sounds though like you're using scp for transfers?

now, I suppose you could put aliases on the desktop, I just create terminal aliases because I always have multiple terminal tabs opeb.. and if I'm doing the same transfer over and over and over I'll just use rsync :)

OP
Big Dan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Mike. :) I'm usually using SCP or SFTP for file transfers I like the drag and drop GUI for file transfers it's easy for me. I use terminal for SSH when I'm mucking around with backups, config changes and stuff like that. I'm fine with FileZilla for SFTP if need be.

One quick (related) question while I have someone fluent in CLI on the line here ;) : Is there wget (or similar) in OS X? Lastly is there a man command?

Coming from a partial Linux background I think is going to give me an advantage over coming straight from Windows especially in the CLI aspect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
wget is not built into OS X, but you can install it ;)

mikeMbp:test1 mike$ which wget
/usr/bin/wget

I just don't recall where I downloaded it from
man is a *nix standard, so it's definitely in OS X :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
My advice: Just try stuff out. If you know your way around the terminal, you should feel right at home in Bash on OS X.

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. :) I'm usually using SCP or SFTP for file transfers I like the drag and drop GUI for file transfers it's easy for me. I use terminal for SSH when I'm mucking around with backups, config changes and stuff like that. I'm fine with FileZilla for SFTP if need be.

One quick (related) question while I have someone fluent in CLI on the line here ;) : Is there wget (or similar) in OS X? Lastly is there a man command?

Coming from a partial Linux background I think is going to give me an advantage over coming straight from Windows especially in the CLI aspect.

man exists and works as expected.

wget does not exist, but curl is provided and wget is available:

Paul Maunders | Web log » A wget replacement for OS X Leopard

OP
Big Dan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much all. :) Just got my mac am happily surfing around, I have a couple of questions about finder. See yous on the next thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Sounds like you would probably benefit muchly from installing all the darwin ports. That way if there is something you find missing from OS X command line utilities you can bring it down and install it to do all sorts of useful things.

Make sure you have the Xcode (not installed by default, but comes with your OS X DVDs) installed, which gives you gcc so you can compile all the goodies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.