New iMac Lines???

Reaction score
When do you think a knew iMac line will come out? What do you think the specs would be? Price drop maybe??? What do you think. I'm jstu wondeirng if i souhld buy now and when teh enxt update will be.

Thanks for input :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Id guess buy sooner than later, the g5 imacs I think will receive an upgrade maybe at wwdc in june, speed increases, bigger hds, etc. no real major upgrades. a price drop is possible, not likely, but possible. the g5 imac is already priced very low for what you get, I doubt, especially with the mini just being released recently that apple is looking to release more updates and compete with itself in sales.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think Apple will update the PowerMac line before the iMac line

T

Tiranis

I don't believe they are going to update the iMac any time soon. It is pretty powerful machine for the money and updating it would mean reducing value of the PowerMacs. So they would have to update the PowerMacs too. So as rman said, they're probably update PowerMac first and then in some time iMacs will get updated - but nothing major.

As for buying the iMac - go for it. At least that's what I did few weeks ago. If you're not in a hurry, it would be clever to wait for release of Tiger, so you don't have to spend $129 in couple of months.

And one important thing - iMac does come with iLife '05 (not pre-installed, but CD/DVD is in the box) even though it is not written on the site. I did a mistake of buying the upgrade (only 20 bucks, but still).

J

jonbev

I was wondering the same thing, I know it would close the gap between the Powermac's, but don't you think a 64mb graphics card is a bit crap? Especially with Tiger on the horizon, I'd like to see 128mb to really take advantage of core graphics etc.
If Panther runs a bit jerky on my 32mb card (powerbook 15"), then maybe it'll be the same with Tiger on a 64mb?

T

Tiranis

jonbev said:
If Panther runs a bit jerky on my 32mb card (powerbook 15"), then maybe it'll be the same with Tiger on a 64mb?

The thing is you can't compare 32mb card on powerbook and 64mb card on iMac. Mobile cards are always much slower than non-mobile ones. Even 128mb card on new Powerbooks would be slower than the one on iMac. Also what version (radeon 9700 or some other?) do you have on your powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I didn't get iLife 05 with my 17 imac (bought 2 weeks ago!)

I am in the UK though, and I have noticed Apple tend to favour US - I am not entitled to the free iLife upgrade as I am not a US resident :(

K

kabwon

actually, the box said that it includes it , all i got in the box are the 2 install cds and a grey cd that says "additional software" thats not ilife is it, if not im going back the apple store 2moro

D

Danster

jonbev said:
I was wondering the same thing, I know it would close the gap between the Powermac's, but don't you think a 64mb graphics card is a bit crap? Especially with Tiger on the horizon, I'd like to see 128mb to really take advantage of core graphics etc.

I would of liked the option to upgrade to a better graphics card with 128MB vid ram but it would of meant apple redesigning the whole logic board which would make it bigger.

Maybe in about a year apple will do it

T

Tiranis

Well, I haven't said this. But I strongly believe that iMacs graphics card will be more than enough for Tiger. There is just no way they are making it that demanding. Back it up with at least 512MB RAM and you have no problems I would say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
kabwon said:
actually, the box said that it includes it , all i got in the box are the 2 install cds and a grey cd that says "additional software" thats not ilife is it, if not im going back the apple store 2moro

Unfortunatly the "additional software" disk does not have iLife 5 on it (on iMacs all it really has on it is OS9 and the hardware diagnostic tools.) iLife should have come on a white DVD and CD (they give you the choice of which you would like to use) that has the green iLife symbol on the front of it. I bought my iMac just over two weeks ago and it was included in my unit here in the US. I would defenetly demand a free copy if I were you.

-Chris

J

jonbev

Tiranis said:
The thing is you can't compare 32mb card on powerbook and 64mb card on iMac. Mobile cards are always much slower than non-mobile ones.

Good Point. I am considering the iMac but the Graphics card issue was holding me back. My main concern is futureproofing for future versions of OSX as the upgrades are nearly always worth it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you are trying to future proof your system as you put it, you can. All you can do right now it buy the best that you can afford. Because what maybe the best card today, may not be in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
The video card that comes in the iMac is on the list of 'supported cards' for CoreImage and CoreVideo in the upcoming Tiger release. So rest assured that the iMac's video card will support future versions of OSX for a while to come. Unfortunatly however, the mini's video card is not on said list.

-Chris

T

Tiranis

Yeah, I believe they took it down just shortly before release of Mac mini. So I would say they're working on including some limited support for Mac mini. Not the full, that's for sure, but some very limited support would probably be possible.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Yeah, i think mac mini's are junk anyways now. But i think that whoever said they would upgrade the Powermac before the iMac is right. And that won't be for a while. Even if it is, i'd imagine it would be a minor update.

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I bought a Mac Mini 2 weeks ago now and it came with Ilife 05 on a DVD. It was packed separate from the Gray install DVD's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.