I tried to duel boot now I'm stuck

Reaction score
I recently thought it was a good idea to try and put Ubuntu on my imac using bootcamp. Thankfully I backed everything up. Long story short, I can only boot up onto Ubuntu. holding option key does not give me a choice of drives to boot up on and I can't boot from the OSX install disc holding C. I have no idea what to do now, I just want my mac back. I feel like I'm being held hostage. What I'm looking for is a way to wipe the drive and start over with just OSX.:( :Shouting: :Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM. The Startup disk function is stored in the PRAM. That may allow you to boot with your original install disk again in order to reinstall OS X.

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Post back with results.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Best I can suggest for now is try searching the Ubuntu forum for an answer.

Ubuntu Forums

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I am having the exact same issue as you. Have you tried booting using the shift key? This is apparently the "Safe" mode which disables a lot of things like startup items. Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

I dunno if it will help you, but give it a shot if the ubuntu folks can't help you. I'm guess it has something to do with reFit cause that software seemed kinda fishy when tried ubuntu dual booting.

If you have found a solution please post here. THanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.