USB Over Current Notice

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having a problem with my iMac, I get the following error popup:

"USB Over Current Notice: A USB device is currently drawing to much power. The hub to which it is attached will be deactivated."

I get 5 consecutive boxes with this warning popping up on my screen, usually within 5mins of turning the computer on. If I click the OK button, the boxes reappear within another 5mins.

This occurs even when no USB devices are plugged in. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I have tried resetting the SMC and PRAM. This generally will stop the problem for anywhere from a few hours to a week, but it inevitably returns.

Any tips?

Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your wireless mouse or wireless keyboard may be drawing too much power via bluetooth. Try swapping both for wired models to see if that resolves the problem.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for he suggestion chscag!

Have you had experience on this problem? What is the basis for your recommendation? I only ask because I would have to purchase a new keyboard and mouse and want to be certain that this will help.

Can anyone else comment on this before I go out and buy a new keyboard and mouse?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Bluetooth draws power from the computer - little as it may be - but if the bluetooth device is not functioning as it should it can draw more power than normal.

What I suggest you do is buy an inexpensive keyboard and mouse to use as a test. A Windows keyboard will work fine provided its USB, and any optical USB mouse will work. I've seen keyboards as low as $12.00 and an optical mouse for around the same at Wal-Mart.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.