Long time delays in downloading web pages on a MacBook.

Reaction score
I have used a MacBook for several years but recently I have encountered a problem. The speed of downloading web pages has been reduced significantly. I have not downloaded any application software lately. Has anybody experience this? Any suggestions or comment will be greatly appreciated. David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
Clear out all your history, cookies, cache, etc.

On another note, how much space is left on your hard drive? Low disk space can lead to a slow computer. If you haven't done so in a while, I would check/repair your disk permissions in disk utility Is the slow speed limited to opening web pages?

Are you experiencing internet problems on any other computer?

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Futch. The problem occurs for both Safari and Firefox browsers. I cleared out history, cookies, cache in both. I have closed down all other programs except the browser. My HD is only half full. I ran the disk utility repair program. Still no change in the speed of downloading web pages. I am using a cable modem with a rate of 20 MB/s. The problem occurred out of the blue. Everything was fine before. Any other suggestions appreciated. David

Reaction score
I am having an almost identical problem. Somehow I think mine can be directly related to the router (just moved into a new place with a new router) but it seems like a lot of people are having this issue. It has been suggested that it may have something to do with the DNS. opendns.org has been suggested and i tried it but to no avail. Anyone, who knows anything, would be my hero.
Oh, i am actually using a MBP 15in alum for the record, 10.5.6.
Thanks
Josh

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks behole. I still have the problem. I too have recently switched to a new ISP and am using a modem with an ethernet connection. I talked a couple of times to the guys at Apple but neither had an answer. The ISP doesn't either. I'll look into the DNS. DavidKnox

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.