My storage capacity seems unreasonably low...

Reaction score
So, I have a PowerBook G4. I don't know how much storage capacity it has but it seems to not want to store very much.

I'm pretty useless when it comes to finding out what is taking up however much space so if anyone can give me tips as to what to do then i'd be grateful.

When i'm in the finder it says I have 13.78GB free but that seems very little considering i've only installed about 4 basic applications and only put 7GB of Music/Video on.

Am I missing out on storage space or could it just be that I have a very low capacity on here?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Disk Inventory X will help see what is taking up space on your disk
Disk Inventory X

OP
A
Reaction score
Ahh. That helps put things into perspective. Thankyou :)

But it's what I thought. It just says that my HD has 27.8GB storage capacity and that seems low to me. But i'm no expert so I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
It must be a very old model. Probably a 667 MHz G4. Those shipped with 30 GB drives. Believe it or not, the earlier models had just 10-20 GB of space.

OP
A
Reaction score
Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.1f1

Well those are the stats - you're probably right. I was just shocked as I thought I would've had more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Whoa, weird. That computer should have shipped with something like 60 or 80 GB!

It's possible the hard drive is partitioned. If that's the case, then you should see two hard drives instead of one. Otherwise, someone must have installed a smaller hard drive than the stock one for whatever reason.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well yeah, now you mention it! My hard drive was corrupt. The startup volume was broken or something so I had it fixed in london. My dad said they put a new hard drive in so I guess it would make sense that they repaired it with a smaller hard drive?

Thankyou for clearing that up :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.