problems with HDD space in parallel desktop 4

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having this problem, it goes like this

i have parallel desktop 4 installed on my mac
i installed windows XP pro as a VM, when i copy files or install programs in the windows environment, my mac HDD reduces. when i uninstall a program or delete a file, my mac HDD doesnt increase it size, when i try to copy files onto it again, it reduces.

so everytime i delete something, the size stays the same, in other words, my HDD keeps decreasing and deseasing if i do file manipulation in the windows environment. please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both Parallels and Fusion will dynamically increase the size of the VM to accommodate more space as required. In order to decrease the size of the VM you need to go back into tools and adjust the size from there. You can also choose the option to fix the size of the VM, but if you do that you may limit what can be installed.

Make the size of your Windows XP VM large enough so that when you add programs such as games, etc, the VM does not have to expand. Whenever the VM grows in size, it naturally takes away HDD space from OS X.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
thx for the great info!

i checked the windows XP disk capacity its around 32 GB, and the used space never exceeds 5GB, so in other words, i have around 27GB free in the windows 'partition'.

the thing is when i delete a file e.g. 1GB folder, normally windows xp will update free disk size + 1GB, but it doesnt. neither did my mac reflect it. the disk size stays the same! seems like parallel does not return the 'free space' back to my mac.. so everytime i put in files and delete them, windows xp keep eating up my memory without returning it to mac. thats really annoying!

sooner or later my mac gonna run out of space with nothing in my mac T.T

Reaction score
Free Space does not increase!

I am having an even worse problem: as I delete files in my finder window, and using the WhatSize program on my Mac; Finder insists that I only have 300MB free space. I already deleted 8.5GB and my MacBook doesn't seem to understand that. I have my MS thesis defense in a week and I donno what to do. Please HELP !!

I tried repairing the disk using Disk Utility and I zeroed all deleted files but nothing seems to work. I have VMWare Fusion installed but I haven't launched it in months so I don't suppose it is the one eating up my space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.