Convert a web clip widget into an actual dashboard widget with Dashcode?

Reaction score
So, I have created a widget using the Safari web clip option. I want to make it a permanent widget & not have to recreate it every time I relaunch my computer. I know Dashcode is used to make widgets, but is there a way to take my web clip widget and save it/export it and import it into Dashcode and make it a true widget I can save and have in my dashboard at all times?

Or does Dashcode only allow for building a widget from scratch?

At this time, I see no place where my temporary web clip widget has been saved on the computer, so not sure where it is even living to try to import it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
I haven't done anything with Dashcode, so I can't address your main question. I do, however, wonder why your Safari web clip isn't there anymore after you relaunch your computer? I have a couple of web clips that I've had in my Dashboard for many months and through a hundred or more reboots, without ever needing to recreate them, and I didn't do anything special to make this happen. I'm only reporting this because it sounds like you are operating under an assumption that web clips aren't supposed to be persistent, and they are.

OP
T
Reaction score
yeah, you are correct but we are kinda of talking 2 different things. it does persist through a computer relaunch. BUT, it does not make a new 'generic' widget in your dashboard so if you ever close it via the "x" - it is gone and you have to remake it by going back to the site. you will not see it in your selection of widgets to chose from and relaunch. THAT is what I want to do. I want to make it a permanent widget, give it a name, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
Oh, okay, gotcha. That is indeed different.

Reaction score
I see. Dashcode, however does offer an option for web clip applications for iPod/iPhone Developers. The capability is definitely there, although you may need to write a few lines of code to get it to work. If you cant run it off a template, you will probably need to use the custom one, then get really technical with all the functionality in coding Dashcode offers. But, like I said before, the functionality is definitely there. Look around Dashcode, or look for some tutorials on making web clip widgets for help. Good Luck!

OP
T
Reaction score
yeah, I have looked at Dashcode and Google and even Apple forums.. but nothing. You see, if I could at least find where it places the data for that temporary webclip widget you make, I could open the package and reverse engineer that generic widget and then transfer over those pieces to a new custom made widget using Dashcode. BUT, I (1) cannot find where that temporary webclip type widget data is stored as it is not in the root or users "widget" directory and (2) I am not good enough to write one from scratch, but am good enough to reverse engineer one and carrying it over and put its functions into my own custom... I just need that start. I take many of my widgets and open their package content and tweak them with new functions, change backgrounds, change colors, font styles, etc.. but I need the widget to start and there is just no place it seems to store these webclip widgets we make. Must be some hidden temp file.

oh, and yes, I have used some utilities to reveal hidden files and I cannot even find a hidden webclip widget of the widget I made... so I have no idea where its data is stored?

Reaction score
Reverse engineer Web Clip into a Widget

Hi Turk,

I wanted to do the same thing. as you.

So that I could you the widget i made on mobile dashboard which runs os x widgets on a jail broken iPhone.

Did you make any progress. I researched this, I discovered that the web clip widget you created through safari has all its settings and info are stored. They reside @ in user/yourusername/library/preferences/widget-com.apple.widget.web-clip.plist

Hope this helps. Let me know if you make any progress, i also lack the knowledge to do more than create a basic web page, so creating a stand alone widget is to much for me. I may give reverse engineering a go, Using the web clip widget itself, another basic widget, and the specific web clip settings.

If you give it a go please share what you learned.

Cheers,

Jimmy :Angry-Tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.