Question

T

TachiKara

Hello all, Iam new to the forums, but hope to be around for awhile. I don't have a mac yet, but I plan on getting one ASAP.

I have a few questions before I switch.
1. Can you use the educational discount at the apple retail stores?

2. Is there software out there like DVDxCopy, where you can backup DVD onto DVD's?

3. I am thinking about getting the 20" iMac, and would like to do video editing, and creating my own DVD's, what amout of RAM should I go with?

4. On apples site, it shows that the iMacs come with iLife '04, would they still ship '04 even with '05 coming with the new line. Is this a type 0 on apples part?

Thank you ahead of the time for you efforts in anwsering the questions, any other insite will help.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
1. Yes
2. Yes, the easiest way is to just buy Roxio Toast, or you can get MactheRipper, and then convert it, and burn it
3. If it is light video editing, 512 would be fine. But if it's something you might be serious about, 1 GB or Higher
4. Not sure - Call Apple - 1800MYAPPLE

BTW - Welcome to the Forums!

OP
J

jbsengineer

TachiKara said:
Hello all, Iam new to the forums, but hope to be around for awhile. I don't have a mac yet, but I plan on getting one ASAP.

I have a few questions before I switch.
1. Can you use the educational discount at the apple retail stores?

2. Is there software out there like DVDxCopy, where you can backup DVD onto DVD's?

3. I am thinking about getting the 20" iMac, and would like to do video editing, and creating my own DVD's, what amout of RAM should I go with?

4. On apples site, it shows that the iMacs come with iLife '04, would they still ship '04 even with '05 coming with the new line. Is this a type 0 on apples part?

Thank you ahead of the time for you efforts in anwsering the questions, any other insite will help.

Scott

Welcome...

1. Yep just need your edu ID with you. They'll apply it instore.

2. not sure. as i use my windows box currently

3. if you going to be working on video and photos... go with as much as you can afford, :). i would say personally nothing less than a gig.

4. any new computer you buy now with have either ilife '05 installed. or thrown in the box for you, :)

You wont be dissapointed with the iMac. Just got my g-friend on one. She's spends more time with it than me.

Josh

OP
J

jbsengineer

ApplejustWorks said:
1. Yes
2. Yes, the easiest way is to just buy Roxio Toast, or you can get MactheRipper, and then convert it, and burn it
3. If it is light video editing, 512 would be fine. But if it's something you might be serious about, 1 GB or Higher
4. Not sure - Call Apple - 1800MYAPPLE

BTW - Welcome to the Forums!

beat me by 10 seconds...

OP
T

TachiKara

wow, thanks for all the usefull information. Now only if I can sell my darn pc, I will get my mac.

P.S. If you know anyone looking for either a desktop, or notebook then direct them to me.

Thanks Again

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
roxio popcorn can copy dvds, but not protected ones, for those youd need to take a simple 3 step process which I will not be going over here.

OP
J

jbsengineer

TachiKara said:
wow, thanks for all the usefull information. Now only if I can sell my darn pc, I will get my mac.

P.S. If you know anyone looking for either a desktop, or notebook then direct them to me.

Thanks Again

Scott

ebay it...i just ebayed mine...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.