6MB iPod Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
I have a 6MB iPod Mini I bought in late 2004 but have hardly used. It still looks brand new. I want to give it to my niece who has wanted an iPod for some time. However, I'm wondering if the battery a) is still good and/or b) will hold a charge. If it won't, is it replaceable and if so, how do I go about buying one and replacing it?

Also, can she use the CD / software that came with the iPod Mini or will she have to upgrade anything or download something?

Thanks very much for your help; this "gift" would mean a lot to her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
1. a 6MB mini? i had no idea they made them that small. that's enough room for only one song. i'm sure you meant 6GB. *snark*

2. have ya tried charging it up and playing it until it dies? that would give you a good idea of the battery life. unfortunately, i cant tell you if the battery is good or not from way over here.

3. yes, the battery is replaceable, but not without significant effort. you can get the teardown details and parts at iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
The iPod Mini was abandoned years ago, is it even compatible with iTunes 8?

You could get her an iPod Shuffle for $40.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
Hmm...
6MB?
That must be the original iPod made for the Apple II. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It would have been pretty insane to be able to carry 6 MB of storage in such a small space when the Apple II was new!

http://chickencrap.com/images/272.jpg

6 MB would have cost more than a new car when the Apple ][ was a current machine.

It's almost mind-boggling when I think about how cheap these things are nowadays. I had a buddy who paid $1500 for a SCSI, full-height, 5.25 inch hard drive 1.3GB hard drive, in the early 90's. I still rib him about that, particularly when I pull out my 1GB MicroSD flash card from my phone that I bought for $5 and is the size of my fingernail.

But I digress...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.