Changed short name and lost iphoto library and other files

Reaction score
What an idiot (called myself mac_idiot in honour of what I have done). I didn't realise you were not meant to rename the short name of my user account. I clicked on it in file view and changed it.

On realising I had made a mistake I followed the instructions on the Apple site of what to do to restore things. I think I made a new user folder called oldname_new and made a new one or something....

But when I logged back in as my old self, my library files and other data had gone. All my settings back to a time ages ago that I can't remember.

The thing is, I had loads of photos - 2000 or so in iphoto and they are all gone!

I have logged in as root user but can't see the photo library file - it is empty.

Is there any way of scanning the hard drive for these files as I don't recall deleting them. However, I do think I deleted an old user folder (dragged to trash) and I'm thinking, what if they were in it? And if so, how can I access deleted user files???

Such an idiot! Any help appreciated.

Luckily I had a partial back up of the photos but I have lost quite a few.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.