Dial-Up Performance

M

MizzouDJ

Hey all, I just ordered my 12" IBook. I've never touched a Mac before so bare with me and my questions. I will be using the wireless at school but I only have dial-up at home, how does it work on mac, seem faster than pc?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You can set up a dialup internet connection using the internal modem on your iBook with the Internet Connect application. (Should be in /Applications.) Have your account info and ISP modem number ready; call your ISP's help number if you have problems.

I doubt it'll be any faster than a PC. Dialup is slow, no matter what.

I would suggest that you use Firefox (or another Mozilla browser) rather than Safari on a dialup connection, though. Safari likes to render pages all at once, which is okay on broadband but leaves you hanging on dialup.

OP
T

Tiranis

i dont' believe using Firefox is a great idea. I would recommend Camino (basically Firefox but made for OS X) or OmniWeb (really, really good).

And I have to agree with technologist - dialup is slow no matter what... sadly.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

at my fathers house he has dial up and actauly it is faster...my dad's pc connects at like 25kps and my mac connects at a 49kps.. but yea it is still slow....i have used firefox and safri on his dial up and it is soo slow.. you cant really tell the difference...

OP
T

Tiranis

xthisisRomancex said:
at my fathers house he has dial up and actauly it is faster...my dad's pc connects at like 25kps and my mac connects at a 49kps.. but yea it is still slow....i have used firefox and safri on his dial up and it is soo slow.. you cant really tell the difference...

Does your father have a new modem? Because if not, it is quite probable that modem is to be blamed here. Maybe he's got only 33.6 Kbps modem... :-/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.