• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Import DVD format to iMovie format

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm VERY new to this movie stuff, and I have a question about how to bring in a DVD format ( into iMovie '08 to do some editing.

I have some old 8mm reels that I had converted onto a DVD (by a local company). It plays fine in our DVD player, but I would like to be able to edit and play around with the video in iMovie. I know that there are different programs out there to convert, but I'm not sure which one is the best or what the best format to convert to would be.

Right now I have a DVD with a Video_TS folder (which I'm assuming is a standard dvd format). I can't seem to bring it into iMovie '08, and when I used MPEG StreamClip to convert about 14 min. of video, it took almost 5 hours, and then distorted the image!! Is that normal? Is there a better way? I don't think I really know what I'm doing. I just want to be able to edit these old home movies that my Grandmother made. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!

I just want to say that these are all OLD HOME MOVIES, and not anything that has a copywright :)

Reaction score
I've done exactly what you are looking at doing. I used handbrake (free) to rip the DVD's onto the computer. From there you can import the video files into imovie.

When you rip the DVD in handbrake before you rip go into the picture setting and tweak around with the interlacing and cropping until the preview image looks good, depending on what process they used to encode your DVD's you'll want to tweak your interlace/de-interlace to avoid getting weird artifacts in your video.

Good luck!

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I downloaded Handbrake and ripped the dvd to my computer, but I must have not had the settings correct. I choose MP4 file for the ouput settings, but for some reason it won't import (or open) in iMovie. The file extension is .m4v

It does open in iTunes, but that's not what I want. What settings do I need to choose for the highest quality to view on a tv?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.