Lacie USB 2.0 Porsche HD wont mount .

Reaction score
Have seen that quite a few people seem to have problems with Lacie .
I have had this external hard drive for 2 yrs on my old iMac 10.3.9 , without ant major problems .
But for the last 2 days the icon has not appeared on the desktop.
The light flashes green for maybe 5 mins , and then turns to amber, but
never appears on desktop . Have waited more than hour , and still nothing happens .
Have tried various possible solutions .........
unplugging all the cables .
restarting the computer
etc etc

Went to Disc Utility and it showed up as being there .
Tried to restore as well
but said I had input /ouput error
Error -9972 ?¿

Is there a way to force boot start it up , for example ?¿' .

Any help out there , would really be appreciated as i have all my work stored there .

Thank you .

Reaction score
Hi ...

I had this same issue last week with the same drive (500gb lacie porsche) amber light etc, but it would not show up in Disk Util.

What our problem was, was the power supply coming into the enclosure. I removed the drive from the casing, then put it into an old G4 and booted up in target disk mode with an intel machine, however, because the G4 could only cope with an HD of +-120GB, we lost half the data. Another big problem was the version of disk warrior (v03 not being compatible with the intel mac)

We ran disk warrior, and managed to restore some of the files. I then ordered a new USB 2.0 enclosure (was about £20 on Amazon), popped the drive back in, and connected it to my mac mini. It worked fine, but only some of the data was recoverable (due to the issue with the G4).

I would suggest getting a new enclosure and trying that before trying to mess around with Disk Util any further, as this could possibly lead to more corruption.

Like I say, our drive would not show up in disk util, so it could be a different issue altogether, but the new enclosure will hopefully be a good starting point.

Get hold of a copy of Disk Warrior (v 3 only works on PPC and v4 is universal), and then run it on the drive once you have it up and runing again.

Hope this helps.

D

Reaction score
Hi ..

Just a new casing for the drive.Something like this.

Amazon.co.uk: usb hard drive enclosure

If the link doesnt show up, try searching amazon or google for
"usb hard drive enclosure". Be sure when choosing one that you get the correct one. The connections come ni two formats IDE and SATA. Ours was IDE so I assume yours will be the same, but please check first.

This will effectively replace the power supply and all connections (as per the message you sent me).

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.