External Harddrive issues

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a photographer with some really vital work on a hard drive that has for some reason stopped working properly. Reformatting is really not an option, the work on the hard-drive is irreplaceable, most of it is backed up but some recent work isn't.

I am using a Western Digital 750 GB Studio external hard-drive running it through a firewire 800 connection to my MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz laptop.

This morning I was in the middle of reinstalling Leopard onto the computer, I reformatted the whole main hard-drive, the external hard-drive was actually unplugged for most of this and then i started reinstalling some programs off the external. Somewhere along the line, maybe i disconnected the drive without safely removing it but it no longer appears on the the desktop, as though it hasnt been detected. The odd thing is that it still appears and verifies as being ok in disk utility.

Can someone please help!!! Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know this may sound silly and I don't mean to test your intelligence, but have you made sure that you have "External Disks" checked off in the Finder "Show these items on the Desktop" option? (Finder -> Preferences)

If Disk Utility can "see" the drive and verify it as OK, it should mount.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have had external drives an flash drives do this after not being ejected properly. In every case a restart of the computer and a restart of the drive did the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.